It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User
Membrane Sweeping/Stripping

My wife is scheduled to get her membranes swept/stripped tomorrow afternoon. She is 39 weeks 4 days today with our first. At her last appointment she was a loose 1cm dilated, 60% effaced, and at a -2 station. The week before she was 0cm, 0%, and baby was still "floaty." The doctor didn't think she would hold out this long, but so far baby is staying put.

Did it help get labor going for you? If so, how long before you went into labor? Did it hurt badly? Would you do it again? Anything else we should know?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User
Re: Membrane Sweeping/Stripping

I had my membranes swept twice with my first pregnancy. At 35 weeks, I was 2 cm dilated. By 38 weeks, I think I was 4 cm and so my doctor swept my membranes. It was a bit painful and I had some bleeding and cramping that night and into the next day. At 39 weeks, I was still at 4 cm so he did it again and said he wouldn't be seeing me in the office next week. At 40 weeks, I was almost 5 cm so they induced on my due date.

Obviously it didn't work for me. I've heard some women say it works. I didn't do it with my last one and I don't plan on doing it again. Good luck to you and your wife

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User

Hi there,

I also had this done twice. Once at 39weeks, wasn't too bad, ended up losing my plug (very gross), but nothing more. Then again at 40-41 weeks I was in the hosptial for a non stress test and another doctor did it, horrible doctor, didn't ask me if it was okay, and it hurt very very badly. Once again, nothing.

So, didn't work for me either !

Last edited by almac; 07-09-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

klr2k HB User

Hi there!

I didnt have it done with my first 3 PG's as both DS's came on their own nearly on their due dates. This last pg (Delivered DS #3 4 weeks ago) I was 2 cm dialated and %70 effeaved at 36 weeks. Doc didnt think I would wait or make it to my due date either, so at my 38 week appt I was 3cm and %75 effaced and he stripped my membranes. It was painful for sure and not something I was prepared for. I cramped for the remainder of the day after he did it and spotted in somewhat large clots as well, (and lost my mucous plug) however, for me it didnt work. I didnt give birth until a day or two after my due date. Would I do it again? Most likely. While it didnt work for me this time it might work again for a different pg....I would just tell your wife its a little painful but could certainly be worth it in the long run if it does work and help her to deliver your baby.

Good luck!
The Mase ~ 6/8/07

All boys!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Srivera- A good friend of mine was due May 18, on the 17th she was effacing and dialating, so the doctor's stripped her membranes...her labor started within 12 hours and she had her beautiful baby on her due date (May 18). So hopefully it will work for your wife the same way it did for my friend!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! (And hope it doesn't hurt as bad!!)

Sarah

Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Hey there!

I just wanted to mention that if your wife is GBS positive, that there have been studies that having her membranes stripped may cause an increased risk of transmitting it to your baby. I had mine done, and I was GBS positive and I found out that it could cause problems for the baby only after the doc had done it. I was upset that my doc hadn't informed me, but he said he didn't believe that it actually caused an increased risk of transmitting.

By the way, it didn't work for me either. Caused me to lose my mucus plug, and have a little cramping, but that was it. I had a very successful induction about a week later, but I don't know if having the membranes stripped actually helped with that.

Also something to think about...

Even if your wife did not test GBS positive, she still might be positive at delivery, or the time her membranes are stripped.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would not do it again.

Good luck and congratulations!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
(female)

mumovhann HB User

Hello

I had a membrane sweep (as you know from my previous post, as I am also a July Mummy ) Thursday gone. It was performed at home by my midwife and it didn't hurt one bit (I was a little worried about this) I would say it was nothing worse than having a routine internal examination and it didnt take long at all.

I had some mild contractions later that night and then everything went quiet again until early Saturday morning when I had a show and my contractions started from there. I don't know if the sweep helped things along or just because I was already 1 week overdue when I had the membrane sweep but I know that it can definately help things along. A friend of mine had a membrane sweep and had given birth to her daughter within 12 hours of having it done.

Good Luck to you and your wife, that baby will come when it's ready but I really think the membrane sweep can help things along and is worth having. I look forward to hearing your baby story soon

Closed Thread