It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

Candy_Girl HB User
Talking Joel Taylor Says Hello!

Well... as expected, Joel Taylor decided to be 10 days early just like his big sister! He was due on July 27, had an induction date set for July 23 but decided to come on July 17.

At 5:13 am, I woke up, tried to get comfy again and then felt the "pop". A few seconds later, I felt the water start to come out. I woke up DH and told him that my water broke. I called the hospital to let them know we were coming in and that my first labour was only 5 hours start to finish. At about the same time (around 5:20) I had my first contraction. At 5:31, we were in the car and on our way to the hospital. This is normally (with no traffic) a 20-25 min drive. We made it in 17 minutes. My contractions were anywhere from 2 to 4 min apart during the drive.

DH parked at Emerg and we walked up to Labour and Delivery. I got into the delivery room with hard contractions about a min apart at about 5:55 am. Again (like my first pg), I asked for an epidural but was denied I was already 8 cm dilated so I can't really blame them. At 6 am I was ready to push. They checked again and I was at 10 cm. They found a doctor so I was ready to go (except that DH had to go move the car to the regular parking lot). By the time he walked back into the delivery room, the baby was crowning. After a total of 15 min of pushing, Joel Taylor was born, weighing 7 lbs 15 oz at 6:14 am.

DH remembered to tell me the gender since we wanted it to be a surprise. My gut feeling was right! We had our boy!

A whole bunch of things went exactly right - my water broke early enough in the day that we had no traffic on the roads - with traffic the drive to the hospital is easily 45 min long. My sister had moved in with us the day before to be my daytime driver. Since she was there, we didn't have to waste time finding someone to watch DD(3) or move her. I had just started mat leave on Monday so I didn't have to worry about work either.

Because my delivery was so fast, I didn't have time to take the Group B Strep antibiotics so we had to stay in the hospital until today (48 hours) until Joel's blood work came back. But he was negative for any infections so we were able to come home this morning. Joel is nursing really well and everything else is going great. He had a touch of low blood sugar on the first day due to my gestational diabetes but he bounced back really well and is fine now. My daughter is really enjoying being with her baby brother.

Thanks to everyone out there who responded to posts and to the whole July Mommies (and Daddy) thread for their support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: Joel Taylor Says Hello!

Congratulations!!!
Wow what a quick labor!!!! That boy was ready to come out!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Oh Candy, I am so happy for you! How exciting to have your new baby boy! I feel a "connection" to you because of our due dates. I bet you're so happy to have a new little man in your life. Congratulations on a great delivery and healthy little boy!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

Istyle HB User

Congrads!!! I am so glad that things went smoothly!

Old 07-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Holy Moly!!!! That is the shortest labor I've ever heard of, Congratulations!!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
(female)

broodygirl HB User

CONGRATULATIONS CANDY!!!! and thanks for sharing your great birth story with us. Now you can enjoy your new son 10 days more than you had expected. I bet your little girl is going to be mummy's little helper too. How lovely!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Another boy in the July moms' group! Your labor was as fast as mine, but I didn't have the excitement of being at home when I went into labor. I'm glad it went so fast for you too, especially since you were too far along for the epidural. They say that subsequent labors go quicker than the last, are you planning a 3rd baby? You'll have to camp out in the hospital parking lot 2 weeks before your due date!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Candy- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing you hopped right into the car to get to the hospital! Whew, that was a close one!!!!

I'm so glad everything worked out well and that your little one is here for you to enjoy!

Congrats,
Sarah

Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bricely HB User

congrats wow you had your baby really fast i hope everyone's go as fast as yours but i bet the pains were very strong especially if you had it that quick congrats once again enjoy your son

Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
(female)

HappyMom2Be HB User

Candy-Congrats on your little boy!! That was a really fast labor! I could only hope for that Enjoy your extra 10 days!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
(female)

yellowbird14 HB User

Congratulations! What a fast delivery!

Old 07-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
(female)

Candy_Girl HB User

Thanks everyone for your congratulations... we're all doing well. Yeah... if we have number three I think I'll just have to plan for a home birth or switch to a hospital that's close by But that was close enough for me that I think we'll call it quits now!

Looking forward to reading all of your birth stories!

Candy

Closed Thread