It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

Estefani23 HB User
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

Hi. I am currently 38 weeks pregnant. Any day now! But i've been concerned for a while about FAS. I havent spoken to my doctor about this because since all the tests and ultrasounds had came back normal.

This is why i am concerned.
Before I found out i was pregnant:
From November to December 1st: 1 month, I had drank maybe 15 out 30 days of the month. Im not a heavy drinker. Before November i never drank as much. I would say i drank maybe twice a month maybe even less.

I found out i was pregnant December 1st. I was currently 4 weeks. When i found out that very day i stopped completely! But im still concerned for the first 4 weeks of my pregnancy where i had drank hard liquor (Hennessy with Redbull). I would say that everytime i drank, i probably drank 4-6 shots combined with redbull.

I remember speaking to a doctor about it. They had told me that as long as i stop completely i should have nothing to worry about.

But around that same month of December i had fallen into depression and i was convinced that i would abort. Which thank god i didnt do. I say this because since i was convinced this is what i was going to do, i drank 1 day. That day i had drank liquor that was way lighter than the strength of 40% alc. vol. of Hennessy but more of it.

I NEVER DRANK AGAIN. NOT 1 DRINK. I decided to continue with my pregnancy and i wanted a healthy and happy baby so i stopped completely. To this day i havent dranked, smoked or done anything to harm my baby.

Now, if there are any doctors on the board or if anyone knows about FAS, i would like to know if my baby is relatively safe or if there is a high chance that my baby may develop some problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

Hi Estefani23 ~{Removed} You would be amazed at how well the body compensates in the first month of pregnancy. So much is protected. It also takes up to a week for the egg to implant in the uterus.
I'm guessing you got pregnant in the middle of November - I am almost 40 weeks and know for a fact that I conceived November 3rd. Based on your situation, I think your chances of having a healthy baby are very high. I actually drank very heavily as well in November before finding out I was pregnant (on December 1st, ironically). The important thing is that you stopped and are taking precautions now. It's actually more damaging to binge drink in the late first and second trimesters because vital organs are developing. Why don't you talk to your doctor? If you're really stressed, then talking with someone may help ease your mind. I really think you have nothing to worry about, but I do understand your concerns. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!! Stay positive!!

Laura
EDD ~ 7/27/07
A girl!!!

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 07-24-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Do not offer advice professionally - this is a PEER only support group. Read & Follow our rules! Thank you!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

In the very beginning, the fertilized egg is self-contained and not getting anything from you. It's after the placenta develops that what you do really starts to directly affect the development of the baby. After that, if you drink heavily, you should worry about fetal alcohol syndrome, but it sounds like you only drank in the very beginning. If everything looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you might want to mention it to your OB just to put your mind at ease. I don't know a whole lot about FAS, but I did work with a woman who was an alcoholic. She got pregnant numerous times (they were TTC), continued drinking heavily (knowing she was pregnant) and miscarried every pregnancy in the mid-to-late 1st trimester due to the alcohol consumption. I would think that in the beginning, miscarriage would be the biggest worry with drinking. After the placenta develops would be when it really starts to affect the development of the baby, but I'm not an expert. Don't be too hard on yourself. Nobody's perfect, we all just do the best we can.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

I am not a medical expert either but I definitely understand worries about pregnancy! My friend got pregnant and found out after a few nights of drinking. Her doctor told her that for the first few weeks, the baby is not even sharing your circulatory system. I would assume that if vital organ development was impaired because of the alcohol, the pregnancy would have most likely ended in miscarriage. And if you say that the ultrasounds have been good and the baby's organs including brain have measured on track, I dont' think there was permanent damage caused. A symptom of fetal alcohol syndrome is abnormalities in the size of the brain. I think a lot of us get caught up in all the information we now know about pregnancy and so we can't drink lots of coffee, smoke, drink, eat anything unpasteurized, eat cold deli meat, etc. But we have to remember that as little as 40 years ago, women did most of these things without even thinking about it. I would be more worried about FAS if the drinking was an ongoing thing throughout the entire pregnancy...not so much for an isolated occassion. Good luck and take care!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Hi there,

Your concern for your child shows how much you already love and care for your little one!! I, also, am not a medical professional, but I am a special education teacher. Currently I teach preschool (which, ironically, is right around the time when mild FAS is first becoming apparent). I've only taught 2 students in my years of teaching that were diagnosed with FAS...a lot of the signs are similar to other disabilities (down syndrom, autism, etc.)

While it is important to remember that any drinking can have negative effects on an unborn child, I agree with the other posters who have said that in the early weeks the baby is VERY MUCH protected. I would say that likelihood of your baby having FAS is incredibly small and not really anything to worry about at this point.

Good luck to you, and I wish you a safe and happy delivery!!!

Closed Thread