It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User
10 weeks pregnant, positive test for Cystic Fibrosis

Hey All

Congrats first of all to the ladies who are all pregnant! It's exciting!

So, I just got my blood work back. Seems I am a carrier for the Cystic Fibrosis gene. Husband took blood test today and we now have an agonizing wait until next week to find out the results if he is also a carrier. I really hope not. I don't want an amnio!

I would appreciate is anyone has any information or experience with this?
My husband and I are both caucasian and of direct European descent (although neither Jewish) which is the highest risk group!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: 10 weeks pregnant, positive test for Cystic Fibrosis

hello,
I too am a carrier and the wait for my husbands results were awful! as you know he has to be a carrier as well and then you have a 1/4 chance of the baby being positive. luckily my husband was neg-- so our kids are safe from contracting it. However-- they will be tested later in life to see if they are carriers so they can have that knowledge should they choose to have a family of their own.
Best thoughts going your way.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

My5Cats HB User

As the above poster said, if your DH tests postive your baby will have a 1/4 chance of having it. I have a good friend who didn't know that she and her DH were carriers until they had their second little girl who has it. THey went on to have one more baby after her and he does not have it. So they have 2 children without it and one with. They have had to figure out how to get by with doing her therapies, etc...but other than that she was a vibrant little girl, full of life, extremely smart, and she is now a young woman (18).

-Diana

Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

Erin619 HB User

I have no family history of Cystic Fibrosis and never even considered having myself or my husband tested. I have a 15 month old DD (she is my third) and the doctor just set me up for an appointment to have her tested. He seems to think she may have it.

Was it just a simple blood test?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hi there...thanks all for the words. I feel a little better, just waiting to know if he has it is horrible!

Yes, the test was a blood test, just part of my routine pre-natal exam.
I think there is another test they can do too once the child is born?

Hopefully all will work out fine. :-)

Closed Thread