It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User
what can hurt your unborn baby

i'm 19 and i am 8 weeks pregnant. when i was around 4 weeks i went to the dentist and had xrays on my teeth they put a heavy protective blanket thing over my chest to thighs, i had just found out i was pregnant and wasnt sure what would be very harmful, could this have hurt my baby? my ultrasound went well my babys heart is beating. the only thing is i have light cramping but not bad and especially when i get tense/stressed i get these crampings, they are pretty light and never any blood. i'm really worried about miscarriage or that i've hurt my baby. can anyone help me? also any other things to avoid would be helpful my 1st Dr. appointment isnt until the 20th, i had my ultasound done at a pregnancy care center.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User
Re: what can hurt your unborn baby

I don't think that one x-ray will do any damage, but avoid them next time or inform your dentist if you go again during your pregnancy.

Secondly, you should avoid the basics...alchohal, smoking, drugs. If you are taking vitamins or suppliments, stop and wait until you speak to your doctor so you know if you can continue or to take less. Though you should be starting on prenatals. Avoid too much fish, my doctor told me I could have fish twice a week but no more. Don't consume anything raw like meat or fish as well and make sure all your raw veggies and fruits are washed as well.

Also if you are on medication for anything you can call your doctor or the pharmacy to make sure what your taking is safe for the baby, you shouldn't wait until a doctor's visit to clarify this since the medication can possibly harm the baby but you also don't want to hurt yourself if you stop taking it. So if you are on any meds as of now call your doctor immediately to confirm them.

I can't really think of anything else as of now, most things are common sense, that is if they can harm you they can harm the baby.

The best thing is to not stress to much, the baby can feel your emotional and physical stress; so calm down and don't panic. When you do go to your doctors meantion the x-ray; but like I said before I'm sure that one won't do harm to your unborn. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

babyluv01 HB User

i've actually had 2 xrays done since i've been pg. i was having some breathing probs so the hospital did an xray on my chest. i wore a skirt cover there that went on right where my ribs started. then i went to the dentist and they wanted to do 7 xrays i said no way so there was one shot that the dentist really needed to see so they put a full covering thing over me and turned the xray machine down to the lowest setting.
2 fur babies - hershey (min pin) & socks (calico)

Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

I've had two x-rays during my pregnancy. Didn't want to do either, but it was for very valid reasons. They were both chest x-rays. However, I don't believe that one x-ray or possibly two raises the risk of any negative effects high enough to be denied if it is for the case of diagnosing or treating a serious illness.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User

thanks everyone i feel alot better. i am taking prenatal vitamins from walgreens until my official appointment.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
(female)

heathergirl HB User

I cracked a bone in my foot and they took about 6 xrays, also i take xrays all day long and so far the baby has been fine. My ob says as long as they put a lead apron over you you will befine. Things people think about dental xrays is they are just like a xray they would do on your chest or foot, however im hear to tell you, dental xrays contain hardly any radiation at all, infact you get more radiation from walking into your dental office or into a mall then you do from dental xrays. so i wouldnt worry at all. Dental xrays are nothing compared to chest, back, foot, or arm xrays. NO WORRIES :0

Last edited by heathergirl; 08-07-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I'm a Dental Assistant and I know that having just one x-ray like that, especially so early on before you knew you were pg won't do any harm, especially if you wore the lead apron. You can still get x-rays if you are pg but it is recommended that you wear a lead apron on the front as well as the back.
I think your baby will be just fine. It's good that you ask to make sure. I worried so much about everything with my 1st pg, I went out shooting a gun in the woods with my boyfriend one time and was worried that the sound of the gun shot inside the womb was going to make my baby def. Needless to say my DD came out just fine

Closed Thread