It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
question for been there, done that moms on hospital classes (lamaze, etc.)

I'm a first-time mom, and the hospital I'm delivering at offers a ton of classes for new moms, and I'm wondering how helpful those of you who have been there, done that & took classes found them really before I sign up for anything.

How helpful did you find courses on the following:

lamaze & childbirth (this is the main one they offer)
baby care
infant CPR
breastfeeding

I'm considering the lamaze & childbirth if only for the hospital tour & the fact that enrolling in the class pre-registers you for the hospital once the time comes plus it might familiarize me with how things are done at this particular hospital, and I'm thinking the infant CPR might be useful since I don't know CPR at all and having some sort of knowledge of it might come in useful though if I could use it properly if ever necessary, I don't know or if I'd just be in a blind panic instead.

And how helpful (if at all) did you find courses on baby care & breastfeeding? Was the baby care course more like Duh? who wouldn't know that? or things that you'd figure out quickly on your own anyway? I wonder if the breastfeeding course is better served by getting a lactation consultant while in the hospital or contacting the La Leche league once I get home from the hospital if I'm having issues? I know breastfeeding is best, but on the other hand, I'm not dead-set on it if I'm having issues with the baby latching on or supply and wouldn't feel guilty about switching to formula.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User
Re: question for been there, done that moms on hospital classes (lamaze, etc.)

The childbirth class we took (my wife and I) was fairly helpful. It helped us get acquainted to the hospital and what to expect on baby day. For our first time it was helpful.

Infant CPR is a must. Though it may be boring you want to know what you are doing if you have to perform cpr on your little one.

Baby care was fairly pointless. I will sum it up for you. Diapers... they need them. They need to be changed frequently. Watch for rashes. Baths. Not every day, every few days unless covered in spit-up/vomit. (this goes for you as well) Unitl the umbilical cord stump falls off sponge baths only. (You will learn about the sponge bath procedure in the hospital. They give them two while there, just watch and learn.) Don't abuse your child no matter how much it cries. This concludes the baby care class.

Breastfeeding class. Ask to see the lactation nurse at the hospital. Problem solved.

Last edited by srivera; 08-07-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

I actually found our child birth class to be quite helpful, although I think it could have been shortened into three classes rather than five classes. I looked forward to going because it really gave my boyfriend and I a chance to bond.
We talked about basics: breathing techniques, comfort measures, infant safety (car seat installation), baby care (bathing, bottle, breast feeding), postpartum (very helpful!), different forms of pain relief used in that particular hospital, when to go to the hospital, spouse support, massage, tour of maternity, etc.
I wish I had paid more attention to the breathing techniques...I guess at the time, we just found them somewhat "funny." When I actually did deliver, I was told I needed to slow my breathing because of hyperventilating. Pay attention to this!
All in all, I would do it again. If nothing else, it's a great way to spend time with your hubby. Best of luck!

Laura
Madeline Claire ~ 7/31/07!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

I'm like you, I signed us up simply for the hospital tour
Anyway, the tour was VERY helpful! It was great to see the facilities and how everything will play out once we arrive. It eased me and DH's anxiety about what to expect.
Other than that, I pretty much knew everything that we went over in class (labor signs, labor, pain med options, c-sections). We did learn a couple relaxation exercises, but really, nothing significant. But it was very beneficial for DH more than anything. And I feel better knowing that DH is a little more informed on everything. So all in all, I'm glad we did it!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

I would go for the hospital tour and make sure you are pre-registered. I would also take an infant/child CPR class if you can. Other than that....I don't know....I suppose your personal approach to pain management should be considered in whether or not to take a lamaze class...I have delivered my seven kids without pain meds (because I am terrified by the sight of needles, not because I wouldn't love something to help Seriously, I nearly faint everytime they put the saline drip in!!!! ) and I never thought the lamaze stuff helped much beyond the deep breathing that most people already know. I learned more helpful stuff in an introductory yoga class I took years ago just for the fun of it. That's just me, though, maybe others found it more helpful?

As for the baby care class....talk to the nurses when you take your tour. They will tell you,most likely, that they will help you with basic infant care while you are in the hospital, like bathing, etc. And some one will help you if you need it with breastfeeding. If that's so, I would say skip the class.

Good luck! Marirose

Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

I think my hubby found the birthing class more helpful than I did. I did like learning about different breathing techniques and massage techniques though. As for baby care.....I've babysat most of my teenage years so diapers aren't a problem nor are baths. I will learn anything new after the birth while still at the hospital I'm sure. As for a breastfeeding class.......I was going to take one but found out that a lactation nurse will come in and help me while I'm in the hospital so I don't see the need for that.

Hope that helps!

River

Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

We did the hospital tour/equipment familiarization class, but did the rest of it (baby care, breastfeeding, and delivery) via "Laugh and Learn" DVDs that I bought on an auction site. Great way to do it, especially since our schedules didn't permit a multi-week class. We could watch it at our own pace, stop it if I had to pee (lol!) and replay parts we were particularly interested in. I would highly recommend it.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

I will be honest with you--I never took a single class, except for a breastfeeding class after I had my son (which was VERY helpful). I just didn't have the time or the patience to go to a class and learn what women have been doing for years and years--I did read a lot of books, however, so I knew what to expect.

When I had my son, it all just came naturally to me. I didn't use any pain meds, btw. I just focused myself, breathed, and was blessed with a very quick labor.

I say take whatever classes appeal to you I preferred to read--sometimes people like to bond with their partners that way. I think for my second baby I will take a class or two just for fun.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

I liked going to childbrith class. It helped with what to expect in that it covered so may of the possibilities. It also helped drum into my husband's head how hard it would be. When it was time for the baby to come, he was appropriately concerned and ready. Our teacher was a big "mom's rule" kind of woman so it was great. Also, it was fun to hang out with people who were expecting aorund the same time as us. What was funny is that my husband and I are well, old. I was 37 at the time ( I am 40 now and expecting #2). We could have been the parents of a couple of the women in our class!

I wish that we had taken infant CPR before my son was born. We took it afterward and I was so tired that I don't remember much.

Hope this helps.

-Jen

Closed Thread