It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User
what should i expect on my first prenatal visit?

i am 19 and i'm a little over 9 weeks pregnant,
i had my first ultrasound at a pregnancy care center, i was 8 weeks and i saw the the heart beat and my baby. well, my first actual prenatal doctor appointment is this coming monday, i really dont know what to expect, will they do an ultrasound? i will be 10 weeks by then. i guess if anyone can tell me what will be goin on and some details so i will know because i have no clue besides they will do a bunch of blood work. thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
(female)

Amink HB User
Re: what should i expect on my first prenatal visit?

well, the way things went for me was:

1st visit (I expected them to confirm that I was pg - they did not) I sat with a nurse and DH for about an hour and talked about family history.

2nd visit (I expected an ultrasound to confirm that I was pregnant - they did not) I got a pelvic exam and pap smear and a referal for a u/s.

u/s visit - got to see my bean!

3rd visit - saw the doctor discussed how I was feeling, and since I was only about 13 weeks he used a u/s to show us the heart beat.

from then on out it was all the doppler thing to hear the heart beat and the big 20 week u/s.

good luck! I bet you are excited!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bricely HB User

mine was different my first visit was urine to confirm pregnancy, then they did the pap smear and pelvic exam and drew blood

Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

baltimorebaby HB User

Hey!

I'm a little over 9 weeks too, so I'm guessing you're due around March 16, like me? I went to my first visit at around 7 weeks, and they just asked me a million questions about my family history, gave me a pelvic, and asked me to pee in a cup. Then the doctor took me back to his office and discussed things like what I shold eat and what I should stay away from, stuff like that. Good luck! There's a March Moms thread on here too, if you would like to join.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I'm waiting for my first visit this time around, too. But the last time I was pregnant the visit was quite detailed and I had to spend alot of time there.

First, I had to do ALOT of paperwork, mainly about personal and family medical history. There were also some required screening paperwork for the state health department about government subsidized programs (whether I should be referred or not).

Second, I had to pee in a cup. This was the first of about 50 times (it seemed!) that I would do this over the course of the next 8 months. A pregnancy test, protein test, and a basic sugar test were done.

Third, height and weight as well blood pressure were tested.

Then it was on to the exam room to wait for the doctor.

He did a quick ultrasound (transvaginally since it's easier to see the baby at this point when it's so small and deep inside your pelvis) to confirm viability and due date. (Due date is most exact the earlier the u/s is in pregnancy). I was given pictures of the u/s.

My doc did not do a pap test because it had been only 6 months since my last one and my insurance would only pay for it once a year (we did it again at my 6 week checkup after the baby was born).

He palpated my abdomen and vaginally felt my cervix (to check for uterus size and position).

We talked about basic pregnancy philosophy and he answered questions I had. I had already done a preconception visit with this doctor, so we had discussed most of this already.

Because I was going to be 35 when I delivered, we scheduled the Level II u/s and amniocentisis for 16 weeks (since it had to be done out of town).

I was given a bag containing a bunch of prenatal vitamin samples (though I was advised to buy the cheapest ones I could find at the drugstore) and pamphlets.

Closed Thread