It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User
New and have a question about baby toys

Hello, I'm new here I am 17 weeks pregnant with my first baby, I normally am over on *****'s pregnancy boards but figured I would check around for other similar boards. Anyway I was wondering if there were any mommies out there that had bought the baby einstien toys for any of their little ones and what their opinions on them were. Also do you know of any similar toys that are good for encouraging learning at a young age? TIA

*EDIT*

also, I am only interested in knowing about the toys, not the DVD's or anything...I really don't plan on exposing my child to TV early on because I myself rarely watch it.

Last edited by Tigerlilly13; 08-24-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

desmaggie HB User
Re: New and have a question about baby toys

I've heard that they can actually do the opposite of what they are suppose to do and limit a child vocab and stuff. That was recent I don't recall where I heard it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User

hmmm, thanks, if you can remember where you read that please let me know!!! Anyone else?

Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I've heard that, too. At the very least, we're not getting any smarter kids since people have been pushing this hype.

a) Let the child be a child.

b) Interact in nice and stimulating ways with the child. But never overdo it.

It seems to me too many people these days are obsessed with making their kids "achieve", pushing them with videos (are you going to force them to watch/listen?), putting them in "socialization" classes, in "real" classes, etc. Let them be. How we got along over centuries without this stuff, I don't know! Plenty of innovation happened without anything special to push kids - in fact, more and greater (as long as freedom existed, anyway). For 1 thing, alot is just nature. Another, don't rob a child of the fun and innocence of childhood. That's my view.

Also, realize it's not simply "intelligence" (not the same as knowledge, BTW). There is more to success than simple intelligence. All children should understand respect and honest work. A smart kid who's just a lazy smart-aleck isn't going anywhere.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User

h/o....woah...don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to make my baby a super genius or anything, I just wanted to get people's opinion on the toys, because I know that babies brain is still quite undeveloped until the baby is a bit older and I wanted to know if those toys lived up to the hype. Plus I don't think there is anything wrong with giving toys like that to your child if they enjoy it and it keeps them entertained as toys should. I will give my child all the love and care only a mother can give, but I wanted to see if any one had tried the toys and see if the children responded well to them before I waste my money on those toys...besides, even if I did want to make my baby a super genius, isn't everyone free to raise their child the way they want, so long as they are being the loving and caring parent they are supposed to be? I didn't mean to offend anyone with this, I just wanted to ask opinions, so please don't get so upset.

Last edited by Tigerlilly13; 08-24-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Of course everyone is free to do what they want. But opinions are just opinions, not forcing anyone to do anything; giving an opinion has nothing to do with taking freedom.

I didn't mean to offend you. It's just another issue related to child-rearing where I'm tired of people pushing their kids (including things like they're signed up for every official sport - just let the kid play with the neighbors when and the way they want!). On vacation I even read a big article in USA Today (last week, maybe Tues, Wed or Thurs) about people pushing kids too much, and that they need to relax. Maybe you can find it; many papers on-line allow free viewing up to 2 weeks back.

As far as if the child enjoys it, I see no problem. I just wouldn't put much stock in it really helping them.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User

I have no intentions on pushing my child to do ANYTHING it doesn't want in the way of classes, sports or other such activities, and as for school, my child will start at kindergarten, like I did...but as I said, I just wanted feedback on the toys themselves, I didn't want to start a debate on child rearing, I just wanted to see if they were worth buying or if I should save my money for other things.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

I personally find some of the toys overpriced for what they really do. Although there are a few things that I looked at that I bought a cheaper version of--for example, my son loved the little activity mats. I think those are nice to let baby get a bit of tummy time and whatnot. The ones with water in it are pretty nifty! Also, their toybars for the carriers and in the carseat are nice for trips out and about.

All of the other toys they have are nice, but no more interesting than any other ol' toy on the market. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User

thanks, that helps alot, good to know.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
(female)

uagirl7 HB User

We bought another brand activity gym for my DS to have at home. My mom got him the Baby Einstein underwater activity gym for her house and he absolutely loves hers! He is 3 months old and can lay there for a good while just kicking and reaching for the toys. I like it because it has an adjustable mirror on it and he loves looking at himself. He also loves the upbeat music and the flashing lights. The one we got is cute but it doesn't have really good music and the mirror isn't adjustable. I wish I had gotten him the BE one for our house. I do also like the water scene toybar that goes on his carrier.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uagirl7 View Post
We bought another brand activity gym for my DS to have at home. My mom got him the Baby Einstein underwater activity gym for her house and he absolutely loves hers! He is 3 months old and can lay there for a good while just kicking and reaching for the toys. I like it because it has an adjustable mirror on it and he loves looking at himself. He also loves the upbeat music and the flashing lights. The one we got is cute but it doesn't have really good music and the mirror isn't adjustable. I wish I had gotten him the BE one for our house. I do also like the water scene toybar that goes on his carrier.
is the music loud, or is it a tolerable level?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL oops! I'm sorry, I didn't even realize you were talking about actual toys (I know your subject says so, but...). I just assumed, and then seeing the 1st reply, ran with that "DVD" idea!

With toys - I don't think I'd have much problem with any of them, except as some say, some of the toys may seem boring. But it often depends on the individual. Some babies may not care for the 1s most people say are fun, and others may love the not-popular things. Hopefully, you won't have to play the guessing game too much in getting toys.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
(female)

Tigerlilly13 HB User

thanks, yeh I have no interest in the DVD's, really I don't think it's good for a baby to be exposed to TV so young, I barely watch it myself, infact, I don't even have cable...but yeh, it seems that some of the toys babies seem to like more than others, and some of the toys have other similar cheaper versions. Oh I also checked the customer reviews for the BE play-mat on Babies R Us and people seemed to really like that one, alot of people mentioned the star in particular that was attached to it helped to calm/soothe the baby...so I went ahead and added that to my registry list. Thanks again everyone.

Closed Thread