It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User
Glucose Results and Ultrasound NOT matching up

Well for back ground info, I have been meeting with a high risk doctor every so many weeks for ultrasounds due to an abnormal quad screen earlier on in my pregnancy. Since they found no traces of downs, she is still being monitored since she only has a two vessel cord and the way the cord is attached to the placenta. So they want to make sure she is growing on target.

Well today I went in for my ultrasound and was given the results of my iron and glucose test. I knew my iron was low since I've been craving ice like nothing but I was really expecting my glucose to be low as well since I already had to go through the 3hr testing last pregnancy and I know better this time around about my sugar and fat intakes. To my surprise not only were my levels up but they were super high, 199!!! My last pregnancy I ate sugar and fat like there was no tomorrow and I was only elevated a few points, this time its ridiculous and I've been watching my diet, weight gain...etc since the beginning of this pregnancy.

Anyway, I went in for my ultrasound and the technican explained to us the signs they look for in the womb and baby to indicate gestational diabetes. One being a large amount of fluid, two being the baby's mid-section being larger and three being the baby measuring large.

I had none of those signs, the only thing they said was my fluid was EVER so slightly high but not even a full point higher, which they said is nothing for concern and could easily be measured at a lower level if they measured me again. My baby was measuring 27 weeks and 8 days and I'm 29 weeks tomorrow, so obviously she isn't getting huge.

To me, I trust in the fact that the ultrasound contradicts the blood work; and that I might NOT have gestational diabetes. Though I am really scared about going for that 3hr test. I already went through it once and it was hell but I was fine.

I already know what to expect IF I do have gestational diabetes, I am just curious if anyone else has extremely high levels and turned out fine?? I would love to finish off my pregnancy without having to be contiually put through tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Glucose Results and Ultrasound NOT matching up

While I haven't been in your situation, I did want to offer you some support and encouragement as you go for your 3 hour test. Isn't it so much better these days that medical science can do tests like these to show how to make our pregnancies safer and less risky? It used to be that women didn't know they had these problems and either died in childbirth or gave birth to children who were stillborn or had medical problems.

Keep smiling... and trust your doctors.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chrissy333 HB User

I had GD with my first and it is my understanding that the symtoms viewable by ultrasound that you describe, (increased fluid, large abdomen, etc...) happen AFTER GD goes untreated for weeks. I don't think at this point in your pregnancy they would apply. This is just my opinion and I certainly don't want to offend; but I would put more stock into elevated blood levels than ultrasound estimates. If you do end up with GD it does mean much more testing and dr's appointments which are a hassle, I agree. Keeping Gd under control is beneficial to both you and your baby. I personally felt like total crap if I ever did cheat (and I did a couple of times). I hope it all works out for you.

All the best!
due with #1 Feb 3, 2004 It's a Boy!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Geez Elfie! You've really been put through it all! I don't know for certain, but I think I read somewhere that gestational diabetes has the most impact on the fetus during the third trimester when the baby is packing on the fat. That's why they don't test until 24-28 weeks. So if you're just around28-29 weeks, maybe you really can't judge by the size of the baby. I think when they say larger babies, they mean at delivery. Also, I think that if you have GD with a prior pregnancy, you are more likely to have it with subsequent pregnancies. But hopefully you will pass your 3 hr glucose test and everything will be fine. If you do have it, hopefully they'll be able to work out a diet for you that can control the diabetes. ANd thankfully it's only another 11 or so weeks to go! Good luck and let us know how your 3 hr test goes.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User

Thanks for all your replies. For the record, I didn't have GD last pregnancy but I did fail my 1hr glucose test, but passed the 3hr. I appreciated everyones replies, its not like I'm going to NOT get the test, its just that I've really been pulled through the ropes and it seems that whenever I get tests done this pregnancy something comes back abnormal but the ultrasound shows no signs of concerns. Another thing is my high risk doctor just keeps repeating the fact that the blood tests are just for caution and there are alot of false results...etc, just makes me wonder.

Well despite the fact I have GD or not, I will be going for my 3hr test Saturday but until then I have cut down my sugar intake even more than before. I realized that alot of my sugar was coming from Gaterade and so I have completely ditched that and just am sticking to water. Also I have been indulging my sweet tooth with fruit rather than with other things so that has been helping. I know that doing these things won't take away GD if I do have it, but I hope it brings my blood sugar down a good amount since those numbers were really high.

I'll keep everyone updated on my results. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Hi Elfie- I know you have been through a lot and you certainly don't need one more thing to add to the list. I tend to think that the blood test is more accurate. Just like when we were all finding out we were pregnant-most times the HPT's are accurate, but sometimes bloodwork is needed to confirm. However, I agree with what you are saying about the ultrasound- it is good that she looks good on the ultrasound. If you do have GD, she still seems to be getting along just fine. And unlike many other things that we all worry about, at least GD is controllable if you do have it. But in any case, good luck with your test. Let us know how it turns out. I'm praying that you pass it and you can drink your gatorade again!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

Hi. I have GD. I was diagnosed at 20 weeks due to a family history of diabetes and my age and weight. My GD was determined by blood tests not U/S. I've never heard of them diagnosing GD with an U/S. Also, those signs you mentioned I believe would show up in the 3rd trimester and are related to uncontrolled diabetes. The larger abnomen and huge babies. My baby is not huge nor does he have a larger abnomen as I have tightly controlled my diet since week 20 and I'm at week 37 now.

Also, be careful eating fruit......it's a carb and will increase the sugar in you body. It's not just sugar you have to stay away from.......all carbs turn into sugar in your body and have to be limited. A dietician can help you with this.

River

Closed Thread