It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

JEM33 HB User
Need advice - what to eat, what not to eat etc.....help!

Hello everyone,
I just found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago (which came at a total surprise b/c we just started trying!) and I am a little lost at what I should and shouldn't be eating. Before I knew I was pregnant I ate a few of the foods that are on list of items not to eat (eg I had a couple of hotdogs, a bit of feta cheese from a salad, mayo on a tomato sandwich etc) so I don't know how concerned I should be about this.
I will mention it to my dr. though. I found a bit of info on the internet that said don't eat sliced meats (haven't) or hotdogs (which I had a couple), but I am wondering if this is just more of a guide.
I also read that the baby needs omega-3 fatty acids and that a good source is from fish, but I hate fish and it seems to be confusing on what kind to eat anyway even if I did eat it! I took a supplement for the fatty acids a few times a week but after I found out I was pregnant, I stopped. The bottle says "Please notify your doctor you are taking this supplement if you are pregnant or breastfeeding". I was taking the Omega-3s before I knew b/c I thought there was no way I would be pregnant so fast!! I have been taking fortified products with Omega-3s in it from flax seed (there is milk you can buy and eggs) but I don't know if this is enough or too much. Has anyone heard anything about flax?
Again I will be talking to my Dr. but if anyone can give me advice on what to eat and what not to eat, any supplements that are good or not etc I would be grateful.
I am taking a prenatal vitamin.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ibelieve HB User
Re: Need advice - what to eat, what not to eat etc.....help!

Let's see. Foods to avoid:

1. Undercooked and/or raw meats.
2. Unpasteurized cheeses-feta, brie, that Mexican cheese, etc.
3. Deli meats and hot dogs-unless heated to steaming. I still don't eat them, don't want to risk.
4. Any unpasteurized juices, eggs, etc. Don't eat anything with raw eggs in it.
5. Wash your fruits and veggies well before eating. Listeria lives in the soil also.

As for the omega 3, my prenatal vitamin has an addition tablet that comes with the daily dose. It provides the omega 3 without using fish oils which could contain mercury. Hope this helps!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Here's what I avoid:

1. undercooked/uncooked meats
2. fish high on the food chain (mercury contamination)
3. unpasteurized cheese & milk (in the U.S., most everything you buy from a grocery store is pasteurized, including feta cheese, mayo, cookie dough ice cream, even the prepared cookie dough sold in the store--you don't want to eat cookie dough that you prepare with eggs yourself though; usually, unpasteurized products are bought from a speciality store and some restaurants may make their own mayo or dressings, you can ask)
4. limit caffeine--2 cups of coffee a day or less

I eat deli meats (unheated) and hot dogs and don't worry about it. Listeria is rare and if it was such a no-no, my doctor would have pointed it out, which he didn't. I try not to be too paranoid about it. I'm sure our mothers ate all sorts of things when they were pregnant with us, and we turned out fine.

For the Omega-3, I just take fish oil pills. If you trust the brand you buy from (granted, these are not overseen by the FDA), they are supposed to be filtered of mercury & heavy metals. I stick with nationally well-known brands. Or, you can ask your OB for a prescription prenatal containing DHA--Primacare One contains it, but my prescription drug coverage thru my insurance sucks and they wouldn't pay much of the prenatal cost, so the bottles were $48/month; I switched back to an OTC prenatal plus fish oil pills.

Last edited by livinTX; 09-16-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
(female)

ivana27 HB User

Hi, congratulations on you pregnancy!
Stay away from raw or undercooked meat, fish, eggs as the previous posts say.
I heard flax seed is not good, could increase estrogen or something like that, so I wouldn't take it. generally don't take any supplements, even based on plants, except your prenatal vitamins and calcium.

Ivana

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

All of the women are hitting the biggies. I found a website that listed the hierarchy of seafood based on mercury levels- shrimp, salmon, most white fishes are the lowest and are ok about 1-2 a week. Tuna steak and some others are very high in mercury and should only be eaten like once a month. Do a search for it- it's nice to have for reference. It's based on what kind of waters the fish come from- freshwater vs saltwater. King crab is low on the list so that was my excuse to get the very expensive king crab legs versus the snow crab legs when we went to a very good seafood restaurant! mmmm mmmm

As far as lunchmeat, my doctor said it's fine like once a week- but she wasn't concerned about the listeria- more the nitrates that are in prepared meats. But I do avoid it because of the very small risk of listeria.

Look out for unpasteurized stuff. I am overly cautious and even though I'm sure products like dannon yogurt are fine because it's a major brand, but if the label does not say pasteurized I just don't eat it. It's kind of annoying. I also avoid food cooked with wine even though they say the alcohol cooks off.

Oh and one last thing that probably goes without saying- they don't recommend anything with the word light or diet in the label because they are made with artificial sweetners. I've heard that splenda may be ok but my feeling is that it's too new to know longterm affects. I think reduced fat is ok- just not diet or light.
Congrats on your little one and have a healthy 9 months!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
(female)

JEM33 HB User

Thanks for the advice everyone! I see my Dr. on Wed (tomorrow)so I'll see what she says.
I'll start checking labels in a little more detail for the pasturized info.
I searched the internet for info on flax and I think half the sites said to avoid and the other half said it was good, so I think I will talk to my Dr about a good omega-3 pill to take and avoid the flax for now.
I can't find anything in the stores around where I live that concerning the Omega-3 pills that gives any indication that it is good to take while pregnant.

One more question, is pepperoni on a pizza okay? I figure it falls under the 'sliced meat' category, but it is cooked pretty well in the oven. Since I have no idea, I had a veggie pizza tonight (probably healthier anyways!) but just wanted the status on the pepperoni anyway.

~J

Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
(female)

leec41604 HB User

I have been taking a supplement called Nordic Naturals DHA (fish oil pills) for my Omega-3's.

Closed Thread