It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User
Where should I expect to feel movement at 16 weeks?

So Im starting to get a little worried...I will be 16 weeks tomorrow and I still havent felt any movement. I read that 16-22 weeks is normal, but I have been asking around and lots of people say that felt movement between 14 and 16 weeks.

So, Im going to take a long shower and then lay down and see if I can feel anything. Should I feel it near my pelvic area or closer to my belly button?

Any advice would be much appreciated =))

Old 09-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

stonebonner HB User
Re: Where should I expect to feel movement at 16 weeks?

I would not worry that you do not feel anything. With my first I dindn't feel anything to around 20 weeks. I think the only reason most women feel movement at 14-16 week mark is because they have past pregnancies and are more aware of those early bubbles as being movement. The feeling of the baby at 16 weeks kinds feels like gas bubbles or tickling from the inside. At 16 weeks, I read that the top of the uterus is about 2 inches below your belly button. I am also 16 weeks and usually only feel little Preston move after I have eaten something sweet. I can go days and not feel anything. Don't worry, soon enough you will be watching your belly move as the baby moves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Gioparis HB User

im 16 weeks and 5 days and havnt felt the baby moving- or atleast dont think i have...the thing is that i do have gas..so i dont know if what i feel is gas or the baby...but its my first so i shouldnt be worried neither should you

Old 09-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

I don't think it's likely that you will feel movement at 16 weeks. it's possible, but most first time moms start feeling it from 18-22 weeks, often on the later side. When I went to my doctor at 16 weeks, I thought I had felt something and she flat out told me I didn't. She said that she sees moms all the time that swear they are feeling their baby that early and it's gas or something else. That the baby just isn't big or strong enough yet. I definitely felt my first movements at 18 weeks. It felt like an eye muscle spasm where your eye twitches. And it was kind of in my lower abdomen. I can say that when I did feel things back then it tended to be more noticeable when the baby was kicking around my pubic bone- I think because the skin is thinner there and more sensitive.

Also, when you have your u/s, they can tell you if you have an anterior or posterior placenta. If it is anterior it means that the placenta is between you and the baby so the baby has to kick even stronger for the movements to be felt by you because it acts like a cushion.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

Thanks so much for the repsonses all =) Im definitely not worrying like I was! =) About 4 weeks ago, they did tell me the placenta was on the posterior side....which made me think I would feel movement earlier, but so far, nothing. Is it possible the placenta could have moved?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I don't know if your placenta can move, but I do know that it's possible to feel movement at 16 weeks. I am 15 weeks with my 2nd baby and I know I've been feeling some sporadic movements since I've been through it all before. I also asked my Dr. at 14 weeks at my appt. and she said with how active the baby was through the doppler (he was kicking a lot and we could hear it!) she said she wouldn't doubt it at all. It is hard to tell with your 1st pg, I remember being just as freaked as you had been and I didn't feel any movement until around 20 weeks. Later on they will get MUCH stronger and you'll know for sure It's the coolest feeling in the world!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I'm 23 weeks and I JUST started feeling movement a few days ago. Don't worry.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

If this is your first pregnancy, then it may take you awhile to feel the movement or realize that you are feeling movement. It doesn't feel like you think it might. It feels more like gas or bubbles in the beginning. The doctor's actually do not actively record or check for consistent movement until you reach 28 weeks. I had 3 full term pregnancies, and after the first one I was able to feel movement VERY early b/c I knew what I was feeling. Don't worry, that baby will be keeping you up all night long soon with the kicks!!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

southern_belle HB User

You really shouldn't expect to feel movement that soon. I got really lucky and starting feeling weird sensations around 15 weeks that I now know was movement b/c I actually felt a kick at 17.5 weeks. I am 23.5 weeks now and he doesn't stop moving. When I felt the first kick and movements thereafter they were way, way down. Right around and above the pubic bone. As time has progressed, I feel him from my pubic bones all the way up to my belly button. Just please don't worry or get too anxious. He/she will make his presence known when you least expect it and being relaxed is more beneficial for you and the baby.

Belle

Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

magster04 HB User

I'm 15w 2 day and I've felt flutters for 4-5 days now. I'll know in a couple weeks for sure if what I'm feeling is baby. I only have felt it when I'm laying really still and relaxed, like early morning. then I've felt some flutters very low, more on the right side. Th dr found the heartbeat on the right side on Tuesday too, making me think I'm feeling baby. Still, it's really, really early I know.. I've asked my sister when she felt movement and she said it was later so it's different for everyone

Closed Thread