It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

george11 HB User
help with deciding to go off seizure meds, or choose Lamictal or Keppra

I have been seizure free for 7 years, but have been on Dilantin. I am looking to get pregnant in early 08, but trying to decide what would be best. I am scared to be off the medication completely, and trying to decide what to do. I am looking for advice on this and if I choose to stay on medication and change it what would be best Lamictal or Keppra... any help would be greatly appreciated!~

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Re: help with deciding to go off seizure meds, or choose Lamictal or Keppra

I'm not much help but im a seizure sufferer as well. I would first find an OB that will work with you on medication choices. My OB is so anti medication it isn't funny. To him everything is curable with tylenol! Second, i would research as much as i possibly could about your medication choices (which im sure you have considering this post! ). Also, many women's seizures change with pregnancy. Some increase, some decrease, some don't change at all. Hormones have a huge impact on seizures in most people.

I wish you luck!! with the medication changes and TTC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User
Re: help with deciding to go off seizure meds, or choose Lamictal or Keppra

I have a very mild seizure d/o (one febrile in childhood, 2 unprovoked in adulthood with an abnormal EEG). I was put on Topamax and was told to stay on it until I was seizure free for 2 years. I took the Topamax until I was around 5 1/2 months pg. At 7 months pg, I went into preterm and when they found out that I had a mild sz d/o, they flipped out that I was not on anything and immediately restarted me. I would get your OB and your Neurologist to talk and come up with a plan of action. Your risk of pre-eclampsia is signif increased with a sz d/o. I know that Topamax is a category C med and I saw a high risk OB during my preg for Level II u/s to monitor the development of the baby's brain and spinal cord. I would get swi\tched over a few months in advance to make sure that you tolerate a new med and that it keeps you seizure free. I am almost positive that Dilantin is contraindicated in pregnancy, so I would get swapped over ASAP. Plus, you know how hard it can be to get your levels therapeutic.

Good luck

Amy

Last edited by sobannon; 09-19-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Closed Thread