It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

uma_anne HB User
When does milk come in?

Does anyone know when your milk comes in? How do you know when it does? Does it happen after giving birth or a few weeks before?

I'm 34 weeks along and haven't noticed any changes and was wondering.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: When does milk come in?

Milk production is supposed to begin about 30 hours after giving birth. It may take 2-5 days after giving birth to see signs of milk, sometimes a bit longer to get a good supply established (I think my sister said with hers about 10 days after giving birth to get a good supply though she had a C-section, I'm not sure if that affects it differently than a vaginal birth).

You can start leaking colostrum any time while pregnant though. Even though I'm pregnant with my first, I started leaking colostrum at 18 weeks. But you shouldn't panic if you have no signs of colostrum before giving birth. You can still have a perfectly fine supply of breastmilk for breastfeeding. It's just that the pregnancy hormones tend to affect individual women differently.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

For both my pregnancies, my milk came in 3 days after delivery. TRUST me you will know! They get HUGE, FULL, and HARD! LOL! At this point you will also probably need to (depending on your supply), be careful of letdown. I had to literally walk around with cups if I was braless, or stood up braless! LOL! It would just pour out of me. Although, this last time (with my son) I had a huge supply...8-13oz per pumping. I couldn't breastfeed directly due to him being a preemie. Anyway...you will see possibly just colostrom (like said above) coming out until and for the first day or so after delivery. You may be having it and not knowing....you can try to express some just by squeezing your nipple. It will be clear/yellowish. Good luck and happy nursing!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Thanks for your responses ladies! I was getting worried for a minute there. Not sure if I have colostrum though since I donít notice it when I squeeze but maybe Iím not squeezing hard enough.

Closed Thread