It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

MomtoaPuggle HB User
Exclamation Not a great first ultrasound

Hi Ladies...
Today has been a struggle for me and my DH.

I am supposedly six weeks and one day pregnant, and was going in for my first ultrasound today.

The technician checked my ovaries, both of which looked good.
When it came to the internal ultrasound, all she found was a gestational sac.
No yolk sac, no stem. Just the gestational sac. I didn't quite understand what this meant. She walked out of the room with no explanation, and did not leave me a copy of the ultrasound. We could only assume something was wrong.

About 20 minutes later we got a call from the doctor...
The report stated that the sac was measuring at four weeks.
This obviously didn't fit...

So, they sent me to the hospital for an HCG test- one today, on Thursday.

After much internet surfing, I'm thinking the worst- a blighted ovum.
This is my first pregnancy, and we conceived on Clomid. I am crushed.

Does anyone have any thoughts???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User
Re: Not a great first ultrasound

I'm sorry to hear your disappointment. But you are very early on and I'm surprised the doctor didn't explain things to you better. The same thing actually happend to us with this pregnancy. I was six weeks and they had done an ultra-sound and found nothing so immediately they told us it could be ectopic. So they sent me to the hospital for another ultrua-sound which also showed nothing but they said it could be just that it was too early. We did wait another two weeks but they did test my blood which showed my hormones kept going up. We waited two weeks and did another ultra sound and sure enough there it was. Sometimes timing does count, most of the time they say we should wait 8 weeks before we even go to the doc for a pre-natal appt.
I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

Same thing happened to me at what we thought was 6 weeks. All we saw was a G Sac measuring 5 weeks. I was worried sick about a blighted ovum, but when I went back for my followup in 2 weeks, we were able to see our little one.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Destea HB User

Well if it makes you feel any better, I went in for my first U/S and prenatal appointment yesterday - I was supposed to be 9.5 weeks along - however after we did the ultrasound they discovered I was actually only at 7.5 weeks I was really dissappointed (and still am a bit upset about it), but sometimes because you can't get an accurate measurement/due date until you actually DO get an ultrasound sometimes the calculators are off.

I didn't ovulated until waay late in my cycle - way longer than usual (two weeks later, to be exact) which is why originally they thought I was 9.5 weeks (last period was august 2nd...); but turns out I conceived on August 30th, not the 18th as I'd thought.

So you are probably totally fine - you were just in too early to see anything. Even at 7.5 weeks what I saw was very very tiny, it looks like a lumpy jelly bean with just the tiniest flicker of a heartbeat. At 4 weeks I imagine it'd much much smaller, they probably just weren't able to see it yet hun! Don't stress too much, I'm sure you're ok!

Closed Thread