It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

SophiaD HB User
first trimester genetic screening---so confused!!!!

Hello....i am at my wits end. i hope someone here can help....
I am 30 yrs old and i have one healthy son. i am presently pregnant with number 2. i don't in any way fall into a high risk category, but my Doc threw out the option of the first trimester screen because now apparently all patients are supposed to be made aware of this test.
my questions are this:
1) has anyone here who is not in a high risk category had this test? if so, why did you? if not, why did you chose not to?
2) has anyone here had problems getting their insurance to cover this test? i have blue cross blue shield and they keep giving me the runaround about whether or not it is medically necessary
3) if the insurance did not cover it, how much was the NT scan? and how much was the blood work?
4) does anyone know if insurance is more likely to cover the 2nd trimester screen (triplescreen or quad screen) or does insurance view that the same way?
thank you so much in advance

Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User
Re: first trimester genetic screening---so confused!!!!

I did the 1st trimester screening and my doctor did not let me know it was optional. I am 30 and I had to do IVF to get preggo because of endometriosis. My pregnancy is not considered high risk. I also have Blue Cross and they covered the ultrasound and blood test. I was able to see the baby at 12 weeks. It was amazing. I know it is scary because of the risk of false positives, but truly believe the test is up to you no matter if your older or not. I hope this helps a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NVD HB User

Hi Sophia,

As you know, this test is optional and is not necessary. I guess what makes it important is what you would do with the results. (Would it make a difference for you to keep the baby if the results came out unfavorable, etc?) It has a high level of false positives, so it's up to you and what you want. I do know that most insurances are more willing to pay for the second trimester screening than the first, but there are ways around it to make it work. We had this test with our first two, didn't do it for my third, or my current pregnancy. Good luck with your decision making.
Amber

Last edited by NVD; 11-29-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

Karen62705 HB User

1) has anyone here who is not in a high risk category had this test? if so, why did you? if not, why did you chose not to?

I got it done, because I figured, why not? Godforbid something was wrong with baby I would want to know as soon as possible so I could research and learn everything I needed to know. For instance I know a little about Downs Syndrome but know nothing about caring for a child with downs, so I would want to know everything there is to know before the baby was born.

2) has anyone here had problems getting their insurance to cover this test? i have blue cross blue shield and they keep giving me the runaround about whether or not it is medically necessary

I also have BC/BS and haven't had any problems with them paying for everything.

4) does anyone know if insurance is more likely to cover the 2nd trimester screen (triplescreen or quad screen) or does insurance view that the same way?

I had a 1st Trimester screening as well as the 2nd trimester and had no problems with the insurance paying. I would talk to your whoever at your doctors deald with the insurance and find out why you are having a problem with your insurance paying for things.

Closed Thread