It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

DVS HB User
When did your heartburn start?

I am 9w 3d today. I have GERD, but I've really been watching what I eat, so I haven't really had any heartburn. Well, just in the past few days, my heartburn is getting really bad . . No Matter What I Eat!! So, for the 3rd night in a row, I'm eating TUMS. So I was wondering if there is a common time that the heartburn starts? And while we're on the subject, my friend is saying "That means that you're baby is going to have a lot of hair!!" Now of course, I know that there is absolutely no logic in this, but I was wondering if this really happened for anyone . . experienced a lot of heartburn and then had a baby with a lot of hair!! Thanks.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: When did your heartburn start?

My heartburn started during the 2nd trimester and it was SOOO annoying. It lasted until I delivered. Every night it was the same thing. Tums was my dessert. My little girl actually did have some more hair than usual, but not a full head or anything.

Last edited by LauraLu; 12-06-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

saskflash HB User

mine started at about 10 weeks, and i'd never had it before, so it took a few days to figure out that it was (i know it sounds dumb, but i'd NEVER had it before, i didn't know what it felt like, and to me if was like my whole chest burning, not just like where my esophogas is, which is where I THOUGHT heartburn hurt...)

ANyways, one tums and its over, so it hasn't bothered me much.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

DVS! We must be pregnant-GERD buddies!

I have pre-existing GERD/gastroparesis (mild latter). I am 27 weeks now. I remember exactly when I started having daily "hell" in the pregnancy - July 15 - after my cousin's wedding shower on the way home. I was virtually ill as my parents drove us all home over 2 hrs.

But that's really general GI misery; although about that day I also noticed a recurrence of my CONSTANT "burping" (I know it's really refluxing - the sphincters top and bottom opening suddenly) every day, never mind the horrible gag reflex. Since then it's been constant every day. And as a result, and no longer being on Nexium (I am allowed my 300 mg Zantac still), I started suffering real steady heartburn probably when I was about 8 weeks. (Before, I think I controlled it so soon with meds that I never really got genuine heartburn - just throat burn and lots of burping and sometimes burning stomach.)

I knew when planning for pregnancy this wouldn't be easy, having upper GI problems already. As it is, I've been generally in misery every day since. It didn't let up with 2nd tri, as everyone said (mom, sister, never mind all the books). It's only gotten worse with BLOATING big time getting in the way, as my stomach is probably as squished as it can be. I hardly eat, which sometimes concerns me for the baby.

Maybe if you're lucky you won't have these problems, but don't be surprised if you have to suffer (and remember, some people suffer all along anyway)!

May I ask if you'd been on BC control pills before this? And how long, and when you noticed you had "GERD"?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

DVS HB User

May I ask if you'd been on BC control pills before this? And how long, and when you noticed you had "GERD"?[/QUOTE]

When you say BC control pills, I'm assuming that you mean Birth control . . and no I haven't been on birth control for a long time . . . I always had bad reactions. I've had heartburn ever since I was little, but in the last few years it has gotten worse. I'm italian and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Saucy foods. Well, I've had to cut my intake to almost none! . . I still indulge here and there, but believe me . . I pay the consequences. A couple of years ago, I kept having really bad chest pains and so I went to the doctor. They sent me to get a Barium swallow . . . this test confirmed that I had moderate reflux . .it was coming up almost all the way to my clavicle (that's the best way I know how to explain it) . .anyway . . a couple weeks after the test, I threw up and it was BLACK!! So they sent me to a gastroenterologist and he scheduled me for an Upper Endoscopy . . . Well, my stomach was severely inflamed. . . The doctor (quite beautiful, may I add . .Dr. McDreamy ... LOL) sent me home with about 4 months worth of Nexium samples . . Gotta love him!!! . . It repaired whatever was going on in there and since I watch what I eat and at what time I eat . . . So some days are worse than others. But just this week . . BOY OH BOY . . . it's back full force! Each time I have to take at least 3 TUMS, but the relief is almost instant!! . . I'm going to have to suffer though, because this weekend I'm making a big pot of sauce and MEAT-A-BALLS!!! MMMM yummy . . . my chest hurts just thinking about it!!! LOL!!

Last edited by DVS; 12-06-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi DVS - so you've suffered a long time 1 way or the other; sorry about that; I've only been 2 years and it has me whining like a baby. Did BC pills ever cause "bad reaction" in the GI system of any kind to you? Let's just say I'm highly suspecting BC pills in my reflux problems, and having trouble in pregnancy (high progesterone as in BC pills) isn't assuaging that viewpoint.

Right now, it seems I am back to having the "let me vomit" reflex again....I hate it! All I've had today, frosted Mini Wheats with milk, decaf tea, ham/cheese Hot Pocket, and water with a few M&Ms. It doesn't take much now for me to feel awful!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

DVS HB User

Ol'line Rebel--I understand your suffering!! I swear sometimes I can get heartburn from drinking too much water. No, birth control never bothered me in the GI system, but let me just fill you in on my bc past. I had very irregular pds in high school . . so my OB put me on the pill. Well, when I was 17, I went away to cheerleading camp and couldn't find my pills for 2 days when I was there . . . well, on the 3rd day, I found them and doubled up for 2 days . . after that I got my period . .for 3 weeks (full force the whole 3 weeks--I can't believe I didn't bleed to death) . . . quit the pill and never went back. Then a few years ago, I decided to try the Nuva Ring . . . well, I was only on it for a couple of months because I was getting horrible headaches all the time and I read a bunch of stuff about headaches with BC and that one lady had a stroke or something . . I don't know . . way off topic. My point is that I was very young when I was on the pill, so who knows how it would affect me now. But you know, it makes sense because if the hormones during pregnancy can cause heartburn and bc pills make your body think you're pregnant . . well . . . it all adds up. Have you researched it at all or asked your doctor?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have researched so much you can't believe. There are hints progesterone may be a problem for the lower esophageal sphincter (LES; the real problem with real GERD) and gastroparesis, but also some studies that claim no correlation. But some say this is why even EARLY pregnancy is a problem for women - high progesterone slows the GI (gastroparesis and related) and may weaken the LES. Last year (exactly this time), my gastroenterologist (GE) mentioned in passing as I was leaving an appt. that "I suspect maybe your BC". I never asked him about it - such a dunce! I kept forgetting every time I saw him, some 3 more times.

I see the GE again Jan 8 after 6 mos. I haven't done much now because I'm pregnant, and you could say "all bets are off" about any GI problems - mostly they're dismissed as "just pregnant". I certainly hope so! I am worse off now than a year ago, overall; I do not want to have the baby and STILL have this horrible gag reflex! (Cravings? What's that? No way!)

But I DO need to ask the GE why last year he mentioned BC (I know, but I want to hear him go through it again), instead of forgetting again.

Closed Thread