It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

proudmommaoftwo HB User
Deli Meat

I know with my first two that I ate deli meat turkey. Now, I'm reading you shouldn't eat deli meat but I just ate subway. Is it bad for you really??? I just know 100% that I ate deli meat with my first two and they were both very healthy babies and now children....

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
Re: Deli Meat

I asked my Dr. about Subway because I can't stay away from there! She told me as long as it's fresh, which she sais Subway's should be fresh, then it's ok to eat cold. I still get my sandwiches toasted just to be on the safe side. As long as it's heated meat I don't think it can carry the listeria bacteria you're worried about.

As for packaged lunchmeat, like the kind you buy at the grocery store, she said if I open it and eat it that same day you buy it, it's ok, but if it sits in the fridge any longer it should be avoided just to be on the safe side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

I sure wish my Dr was attentive as yours Brooke...One thing is for sure, if I am blessed enough to get pregnant a second time, I will be switching =)

I have eaten Larry's Giant Subs a few times since I was pregnant and was incrdibly worried afterwards, but all turned out ok. I have actually been craving Subway for weeks, but now that Im further along, Im even more nervous about eating it. (I read that Listeria is more common in the last trimester). I think that if you get it toasted, it is probably ok though. My friends keep reminding me that women were giving birth way before all these warnings came out and to take them with a grain of salt. =)

Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I had to ask my Dr. about this as she did not inform me during my 1st pregnancy. With my DD I ate sandwiches with packaged lunchmeat almost everyday during the last trimester and nothing happened. During this pg is when I found out about it.

I don't know if I'm right, but I think listeria can occur in anyone, whether they're pg or not. Either way they'll get sick, but if they're pg it will hurt the baby. Not for sure on that though.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

My DR hasnt warned me against eating ANYTHING. LOL I like the fact that he is relaxed, but I often feel he is too passive.

I read that yes, listeria can affect anyone, but the elderly and pregnant women are much more susceptible (due to their weakened immune systems). Even so, my overall impression is that listeria is extremely rare on all accounts.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Well, there's a chance with listeria but so is there a chance of getting Salmonella when you eat chicken or E. coli when you eat beef or raw spinach or any of the dozens of other products they've recalled recently. The odds are much greater of being in a car accident than contracting listeria. I don't worry about it. I eat Subway turkey sandwiches (non-toasted) and have had other deli meats (not heated) throughout this pregnancy. My OB never warned me against deli meats and I think generally they don't warn against deli meats in other parts of the world (Europe, etc.). There is a danger but it's not like you eat deli meats, you're doomed to contracting listeriosis.

If you eat deli meat from a reputable source, it shouldn't be an issue. You may want to avoid eating deli sandwiches from gas stations and other places that you're not sure of the standards, but on the whole, it should be fine. There are odds there, but for example, I did some research and found in 2006, listeriosis occurred in 36 people (not just pregnant women) in the New York City residential area (a rate of 0.4 cases per 100,000 people). So the odds of contracting it are not huge. They go up significantly if you consume unpasteurized milk or cheeses.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
(female)

Brownie110 HB User

My Dr. said I can eat deli meat as long as it comes from 1 animal....meaning turkey, chicken and roast beet......

Old 12-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User

My doctor sadi it was ok to eat deli meat as long as I wasn't eating it everyday. She said your chance of eating deli meat with listeria was really low.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

I was eating hard salami & provolone subs almost weekly in my 1st trimester. Had no problems. I stay away from anything too salty, though, a lot of the hams are pretty salty.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
(female)

Marie M HB User
Exclamation Re: Deli Meat

It's not just listeria, it's toxoplasmosis and salmonella as well. Deli meats and hot dogs can be contaminated from the animal, or can become contaminated when processed, before and after being cooked. Because of the way these are cooked, which is usually at a lower temperature but longer, especially in smoked meats, it can sometimes not kill the bacteria.

I looked into this before thanksgiving because my father in law was going to smoke the turkey, and i thought i couldn't eat it. I found through a lot of researching that it will be alright as long as you re-heat the meat to steaming.

I wouldn't reccomend eating at subway. Even if the meat you're eating was not contaminated, it could become so if there's another meat there, from the workers gloves. As far as the toasting, i don't know how hot it gets, and if the meat in the center of the sandwich gets heated to steaming or not. Use your best judgement.

But whatever you do, don't eat undercooked meats! I got to a point where i quit ordering steaks at restaruants, even though i'd order it well done, it'd always come back twice before it was cooked enough, and then i'd have to get new silverware, and it was just too much a hassle!

Closed Thread