It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

mollymop HB User
ibuprofen during last 3 months of pregnancy

Why can't I take Ibuprofen during the last 3 months of pregnancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User
Re: ibuprofen during last 3 months of pregnancy

Hello!
I believe the reason that it is inadvisable to take ibuprofen after week 32 (so last two months I guess really) is because it is an NSAID and all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs taken after 32 weeks of pregnancy, can cause the opening between the major arteries in your baby's heart to close prematurely. Ibuprofen itself has never been found to have done this, during all the clinical studies, but another drug which is very similar (in chemical structure) has done this so it is best to play it safe. If you need painkillers it is best to consult your doctor for the best treatment available to you.
Take care,
H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
(female)

mollymop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Hello!
I believe the reason that it is inadvisable to take ibuprofen after week 32 (so last two months I guess really) is because it is an NSAID and all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs taken after 32 weeks of pregnancy, can cause the opening between the major arteries in your baby's heart to close prematurely. Ibuprofen itself has never been found to have done this, during all the clinical studies, but another drug which is very similar (in chemical structure) has done this so it is best to play it safe. If you need painkillers it is best to consult your doctor for the best treatment available to you.
Take care,
H
Thank u very much for the info - I pulled the main muscle in my back on Sat Morning and after speaking to the GP he told me I could take Ibuprofen but not to use my tens machine (after taking about 5 of them) I read the packet and it's reads not to take in the last 3 months. I stopped taking them and spoke to another doctor on Mon who said do not take any-more but use ur ten's machine. At the time I was in to much pain to even ask why I couldn't take them and have been worrying myself silly! I do hope that it's caused a problem for the baby!!!!

Where did you find ur info and do you happen to know if my boby would show any sign's if the taking of the 5 tablets has effected baby???????? I am currently 39 weeks and 4 days pregnant.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

Well it is unlikely to have caused a problem. One of the main concerns with NSAID's is that long-term use increases risk factors considerably. So, if you had taken them four times a day for the last three months it would be more of a worry. I believe you can do web searches, but the information I gave was from one of my big anatomy and biochemistry books from work. It does state quite categorically though - that no research has ever suggested it happens with ibuprofen, only it's chemically related substance. It is a case of medical cautiousness that has suggested no NSAID should be used after week 32.

Try and stay calm, honestly it is highly unlikely that one incident would cause any problems at all. And soon you will have a beautiful baby to cuddle, just think of all the good things to come

Take care,
Helen

PS - Hope that helps to calm you a little.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

PS - Is baby moving same as before? Can your partner/friend put their head against your belly and hear the heart beat? These are all signs that everything is still good and well with baby. So use these purely to make yourself feel better.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

mollymop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Well it is unlikely to have caused a problem. One of the main concerns with NSAID's is that long-term use increases risk factors considerably. So, if you had taken them four times a day for the last three months it would be more of a worry. I believe you can do web searches, but the information I gave was from one of my big anatomy and biochemistry books from work. It does state quite categorically though - that no research has ever suggested it happens with ibuprofen, only it's chemically related substance. It is a case of medical cautiousness that has suggested no NSAID should be used after week 32.

Try and stay calm, honestly it is highly unlikely that one incident would cause any problems at all. And soon you will have a beautiful baby to cuddle, just think of all the good things to come

Take care,
Helen

PS - Hope that helps to calm you a little.
Hi Helen,

Yeah that does help alot and thank you so very much for your help, I'm just going to wipe it out of my mind and when day comes - if it is a problem then I will track down the doctor and string him alive (Joke)

Once again thank u 4 sharing ur thoughts - just hope my back is fully repaired b4 labour starts !!!!!
Charlotte

Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

Hi Charlotte,
I am guessing you are expecting your little bundle to be joining you in your arms very soon, so GOOD LUCK for that! And hope your back is not sore anymore.
If you have time after that, come back on and let us all congratulate you
Take care,
Helen

Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
(female)

mollymop HB User

Hi,
Baby Jessica was born on Jan 9th, 6lbs 2. Sorry delay but only been out of hospital a few day as labour really did not go well!

Jessica is fine and very well and I am feeling lots better.

Cheers
Charlotte

Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
Sorry that your labour did not go well, but I bet it is all worth it when you get to hold your new baby girl in your arms!
Sending you and Jessica all the best
Take care,
Helen

Closed Thread