It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

jmkeefe001 HB User
Question Fiber isn't helping

I take fiber three times a day, I eat fresh fruit, I drink tons of water, I even take walks with my dog throughout the day but NOTHING is relieving my constipation.

Does anyone have any other ideas I can try before I lose my mind? My belly is so full it hurts.

(I'm almost 8 weeks in case that makes a difference)

Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Fiber isn't helping

Your Dr. should be able to give you some prescription prenatal vitamins with a stool softener. This helps me sooooooo much. I am more regular than pre-pregnancy.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i've tried a ton of prescription brands of prenatals, and they've all caused me to be constipated. now, i take prenatals without iron (from GNC), and then take an iron supplement called ironchel (also from GNC) which is really easy on the system and doesn't cause constipation.

also, my one proven cure for constipation is a bowl of quaker oat squares or shredded wheat (any flavor.... strawberry is my favorite), DRY, eaten with a big glass of ice water. eat it once a day. it's never failed me!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
(female)

jmkeefe001 HB User

Cool ideas! Thank you both. I see my OB for the first time tomorrow so I'll ask him which he prefer I do or what combo of those ideas to do.

I just didn't even know what to ask him if I could try so this helped a lot.

Thanks again

Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

The extra Iron is a big culprit for the constipation, but it can be your system as well. During pregnancy your body actually slows down digestion to absorb everything it possibly can for you and the baby. Pretty amazing isn't it? Ask for some samples of prenatals that have a stool softner tomorrow at your appointment. That way you can try a couple of different kinds and see what works best for you without being out so much money. Congrats!!!!!

Last edited by meechieny; 01-14-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

HamuChan HB User

I drank a huge glass of prune juice today and that really got things movin'. You may want to give that a try. I also took some stool softeners as my Dr says that those are ok. No laxatives though.....

Old 01-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
(female)

Goldielocks123 HB User

I will be 8 weeks on Thursday, and I am also having the same problem. I have gotten so bad that when I finally go it hurts so much and bleeds (sorry if tmi) I don't want to push to hard and cause myself to get hemroids. I called my Dr's office this morning and asked them what I can take. He said the best thing to take is Senokote it's a stool softner. Also right on the package it states safe for pregnant women. I am going to take it tonight and hopefully get some relife!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Definitely try the prune juice. I'm a big proponent of this. I had it on hand last month when I kept tending to constipation. Just a tumbler-full (or cup) should do about ever 4-6 hrs if needed that much. Prune juice is indeed fiber, but unlike those other methods, it is so fine you can't even tell there is any pulp in the juice. So it sort of counteracts the drawbacks of "fiber" - if your system - stomach, intestines - is stagnating (which yours is because it's pregnant), fiber isn't good for you. But prune juice is so fine and perfectly liquid, it doesn't much matter it seems.

Closed Thread