It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User
Guaifenesin--birth defects??

So I was reading a parenting magazine the other day, and it had an article in it about the cold meds you should NOT take. It goes on to tell me that a certain type of cold med (tussin cough) has Guaifenesin in it, which has caused birth defects in the first trimester. I really thought I had grabbed the normal tussin, which only has one ingredient, which is perfectly safe. Well, when I had my HUGE cold a few weeks ago, I took maybe about a fourth of the bottle (it really did nothing to help me, so I stopped taking it) and didn't think anything of it--

Well, now I am freaking out, because I have a birth defect myself (a pretty darn rare one but still) and I would be devastated if I caused harm to my own child because of a silly mix up in meds...

I'll mention something to my doctor my next visit, but I just wanted to post something on here to maybe get a piece of mind about the situation....I am really worried, and I NEVER worry about stuff like this....I usually just let things go I cannot control, but this hits toooo close to home

Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

Nicky2112 HB User
Re: Guaifenesin--birth defects??

Hello, freaking out seems to be normal during pregnancy (I do that at least twice a week about one thing or another).

Thinking about it with a cool mind, I don't think you should worry. Nowadays there are so many "forbidden fruits" during pregnancy, I'm surprised pregnant women don't end up in an insane assylum by the ninth month.

For instance, they tell us not to eat cold cuts because of the risk of listeria, the same with undercooked meat and fish. In Spain (where I'm from), people basically live off cold cuts for most of the year and there are no more birth defects than in other countries.

I'm also convinced that Japanese women have eaten sushi for centuries without giving birth defects a second thought. I have a friend who ate sushi during her entire pregnancy and her daughter is not only totally normal, but sharp as a fox.

Alcohol is another issue. How many women over the years have had the occasional wine with lunch or dinner without giving birth to defective children?

Now, I'm not saying all these warnings are not without merrit, but I also think moderation is key. I had a glass of wine with dinner on New Year's Eve, and I don't think I was harming the baby.

Try not to worry too much. Unless you drank five bottles of that stuff in a period of a week, I doubt it had much chance to harm the baby. Remember your body processes the substances before they reach the baby. And those warning labels are just a precaution.

But I'm sure your doctor can probably tell you what the risks are and put you at ease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User
Re: Guaifenesin--birth defects??

Thank you for your kind words--I guess I am just being super worried. But you are right about all of the "forbidden" things us pregnant women have to deal with. And I suppose that nothing is really proven, just a good guess....I mean who is out there testing random drugs/foods on pregnant women.

Closed Thread