It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User
Unhappy Cough and cold relief on first trimester, anyone?

Im 5 weeks pregnant. I have been having productive coughing for the last 5 days. It has been disturbing my sleep and my husband. Really itchy throat and nagging and annoying cough. My lack of sleep made me really miserable at work. At night I feel like I am drowning in phlegm.
I have been taking lots of water, orange juice, chicken soups and used honey and lemon. I also have ginger tea to relieve itchyness in my throat. But no amount of water and rest seems to help. I applied Vicks vapor rub on my chest at night after looking at the internet that it is okay but that too only made me smell like a sick person without relief. I called the OB's clinic and they say take Robitussin Plain cough syrup. I had like 4 doses and I stop. My friend called me and told me not to take anything and so now I am like a scared cat, dont know what to do. I am so miserable but dont wanna hurt my baby. Anyone took some Robitussin plain, Tylenol or Vicks vaporrub or cough Lozenges on their first trimester????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User
Re: Cough and cold relief on first trimester, anyone?

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I am 22 weeks along and am just getting over a bad stomach/cold virus. It came on to me 2 weeks ago today!
I just took Tylenol and got a lot of sleep and lots of water/ gingerale.
I tried using a humidafier at night. It seemed to help a little. I was so sick I went to ER and needed IV fluids. So be careful and it just has to run it's course. And, I think the cough sryup is OK to use. Get well soon!
Skyy11

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

I took plain Robitussin and it was fine. I also recommend a vaporizer in your room.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

desmaggie HB User

I was told not to use vicks vapour rub by my Dr.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
(female)

want2beamama HB User

I was sick at 7 weeks with flu like symptoms...fever, aches, cough and my doctor said to just take tylenol for the fever. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

Im still coughing. It's been 6 days now and I have nasal congestions too.
The coughing is more severe at night that everytime I cough I feel like my head splitting and Im worried that Im contracting my stomach each time that it might hurt my baby . I took 2 tsp. of Robitussin plain today but deep inside I was so guilty. It seems that no one has had taken Robitussin while pregnant except me.

All my coworkers nag at me for taking medicine. All my married friends tells me not take it. The nurse in the RE's clinic says that I will get infection if I dont take care of it. I think Im bloated of water already. My eyes are puffy and Im supposed to go back to work thursday. I have one more day tomorrow to rest and I also have my 6 weeks Ultrasound so I can discuss this with my doctor.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

suewaz HB User

I am 9 weeks pregnant and I took Robitussin. My doctor said that it was fine, and it is on the list of OK medicines to take that I got from my OB/GYN. I truly believe it is worse for the baby if you continue to be sick and possibly get an infection from not treating yourself. I took just the regular Robitussin, and nothing with a decongestant. I was sick, thought that I had bronchitis (but I did not, thank god), and they told me to take Robitussin or Mucinex. That was over the past weekend. I am still not better, but I am better than I was so I have stopped taking medicine now. I am hoping that I will get completely better now without it. I took the Robitussin for about 3 days. I was in so much chest pain that I had to do something. I have not had any ill effects yet (as far as the baby goes), but it has only been a few days since I stopped.

Last edited by suewaz; 02-26-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Closed Thread