It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Major Constipation...any resolutions?

I am 12 weeks and I have a major constipation problem. I am eating raisen bran or a high fiber cereal for breakfast...I eat apples & bannanas....I eat bean burritos...I'm trying to drink lots and I'm STILL constipated.
I have been taking colace...the stool softner and it's really helping either. I take two a day.
In order to really move my bowels I have to take Senokot laxitive which the doctor says is okay too but geez..I have to take it every week.
Does anyone have any cure-alls? I am so uncomfortable and just want to feel good. I'm just afraid it's only gonna get worse.
Any ideas? I'm desperate!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User
Re: Major Constipation...any resolutions?

I know this sounds weird but have you tried black licorice? It really helps. Also if you drank a cup of decaf coffee that should help too. Hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

carlon923 HB User

i had that so bad....i used citicell - the orange flavor. it even helped with the gas, bloating feeling. i have problems normally and that has always worked for me. twice a day....mine got better after about the fourth month.

good luck !

Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

want2beamama HB User

Hi Mistina
I am so glad you started this thread b/c I have had the same problem for a few weeks now. Sorry if this is TMI, but I have always been very regular and now I have this full feeling and I have to go, but I can't and when I finally do it isn't easy. I am worried b/c I read constipation can lead to hemroids later on. I too am eating high fiber foods, but it isn't helping. I haven't tried any over the counter remedies. Does anyone know if this is dangerous to the baby? Should I tell my doctor? And, what causes this?
thanks!!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

I have had 2 children and now they are 2 and 4, and I can help you with this. I had such terrible constipation once that I was hospitalized for a night because I could not go pee, I had a blockage because I was so constipated. I was so embarassed. For the rest of the pregnancy, I took metamucil and 3 stool softeners a day. I ate tons of berries, and drank lots of water. That was my first pregnancy. My husband used to say that we were going to cancel a trip if I was constipated because he did not want that to happen again. It was really scary. He even did that into our second preg. This time through I immediately took stool softeners when I started to get constipated, in the pregnancy and metamucil throughout the whole time. I still had a hard time even when taking all those and fruit, bran, and water. My doctor told me that every once in awhile it is ok to use milk of magnesia if you were really constipated.

And about the hemorroids, I did get them ...bad. After giving birth to the second, the nurses would look at them and say "whoa." My husband did not believe me that they were that painful until I asked the nurse to show them to him. And there were never any problems after when I mentioned how I hurt. I remember one afternoon during my second pregnancy, my son was 2, and I called my husband and asked him to come home because I was in so much pain from the hemorroids and could barely walk, and he blew me off and went to hang out with some friends. I was so upset, and very embarassed.

Good luck, I am so sorry you all are going through this. I use Miralax now, for everyday constipation, and that was not on the market 2 years ago. It is great stuff, and maybe something to call and ask about.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

2 words:

Prune Juice

Old 02-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Thanks guys. I'll try the Metamucil or Citricell...and perhaps prune juice. I have been constipated in the past though it that didn't help but it's worth a try.
I do take two colace (stool softners) and when I need it, my doctor said it's okay to take Senokot (a natural vegtable laxitive) or milk of magnesia. But, I try not to but sometimes you just half to.
Does this problem just get worse throughout pregnancy? I can't see that it gets better.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Mistina, prune juice, unfortunately never worked for me, it works for my husband in minutes. The only time the constipation went away for me with both pregnancies was when my body was getting ready to give birth. I started havng the opposite of constipation, diarrhea, and I realized it was my body getting ready for birth. It started around 38 weeks with my first and then 35 weeks with my second. When I was thinking about having another child the constipation was so bad in my first pregnancy that I really considered having an only child, also my first preg. was really tough on me, my emotions and my marriage. I did have another baby, and that pregnancy was harder on me physically, and the constipation was not as bad. Still bad, but I was never hospitalized! I think it is a lot like battling chronic pain and pain medications, the meds make you constipated. I am now battling that type of constipation, and I have to stay on top of it or I get in trouble. I start thinking of it right when I get up. I love a cereal called all bran medley with strawberries, it has %40 of your daily fiber in one serving. I like the strawberries, and add some blueberries too. Also, I mentioned earlier, you should ask you ob/gyn or pharmiscist about Miralax. It is expensive but it works, $20 for a large bottle. My son is 4 and his pediatrician prescribed it for his constipation. It is really worth it, and it mixes into anything, juice, coffee, or tea. Good luck, and just keep getting fiber, girl!

Kass

Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

dry quaker oat squares or shredded wheat, and a large cup of ice water is always a 100% cure for me!

also, if prune juice doesn't work, try boiling prunes in some apple juice and water (more water than juice) and drink the juice from that.... and heck, eat the prunes if you can stomach them! that always works for my little girls.

walk at least 15 minutes a day if you can. it really helps to get things moving and loosened up inside!

oh, and cut out the bananas, stay away from rice, and limit the dairy.... those things always constipate me and my girls!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
(female)

bondgrll HB User

I tried it all.....Miralax is the best but it takes three days to work. You can get it at any drugstore. Don't knock it till you try it.....mix it with orange gatorade and you won't even know it's in there. Good luck..

Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
(male)

Richard62 HB User

I have had major constipation problems for most of my life. About 2 years ago, I had a colon resection due to diverticulitis and perforated bowel. Long story short, I finally found what would work for me for the constipation. I eat Kelloggs Bran Buds every morning (at least a cup or more) for me and also Walmart brand (Equate) Metamucil every morning as well. I take 3 heaping teaspoons of the Metamucil will 3 full glasses of water. Quantities will vary as required for each individual, but this is what works for me. I also eat Healthy Choice 7 grain bread which is high in fiber. I would think too that you would want to talk to your doc on anything that you do.

Closed Thread