It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

jessie921 HB User
why do i have to get the rhogam shot with my 3rd pregnancy

why do i have to get the rhogam shot with my 3rd pregnancy

Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User
Re: why do i have to get the rhogam shot with my 3rd pregnancy

I guess your doctor wanted extra protection even thou you were already sensitized on your second pregnancy. You dont want to build antibodies against the unborn baby. Rh disease is one cause of miscarriage in early pregnancy and when brought to term, will need blood transfusion.

Also how long was the gap between your 2nd and current pregnancy?

I would discuss that with my doctor and if I am Rh - mom with an Rh + husband and an Rh + first born, I would always worry about antibodies in subsequent pregnancies.

Every woman trying to get pregnant should know about their bloodtype and Rh factor. But God is such amazing that even thou you dont know your type, your first baby is protected from antibody unless the baby's blood enters the mother's bloodstream before it is born which is very rare.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

jessie921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama08 View Post
I guess your doctor wanted extra protection even thou you were already sensitized on your second pregnancy. You dont want to build antibodies against the unborn baby. Rh disease is one cause of miscarriage in early pregnancy and when brought to term, will need blood transfusion.

Also how long was the gap between your 2nd and current pregnancy?

I would discuss that with my doctor and if I am Rh - mom with an Rh + husband and an Rh + first born, I would always worry about antibodies in subsequent pregnancies.

Every woman trying to get pregnant should know about their bloodtype and Rh factor. But God is such amazing that even thou you dont know your type, your first baby is protected from antibody unless the baby's blood enters the mother's bloodstream before it is born which is very rare.
that is just it i have not been sensitized. i had the shot with my 2nd in 1999 and now the doc wants me to have it again. is this necessary? i am concerned about the effects it has on the fetus. my son (2nd preg w/shot) has ADHD and several learning disabilities. i have read tons of message boards and have mixed emotions about getting the shot again.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
(female)

scabbyneutron HB User

This is my 3rd pregnancy as well. I too get the rhogam shot. Which each pregnancy, miscarriage or abortion you need the shot everytime. or your antibodies will attack the baby. My coworker didnt get the shot (she didnt know any better and the dr. didnt tell her she needed it) and her daughter was born deaf because if it.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
(female)

saskflash HB User

You need it with your third pregnancy for the same reason you needed it with your second pregnancy...the shot doesn't fix the problem forever. I'm Rh Negative and i'm getting my first shot in a week and I have done nothing but read about the shot and the condition, and you have the choice of getting the shot, or having a very high chance of not having anymore healthy babies...its really simple...it sucks that that is our choice, but it is until medical science figures something else out. My grandmother was RH Negative and she had my dad in 1940 and then had eight...EIGHT stillbirths (not even miscarriages...the babies died later on in the pregnancy). My dad remained an only child.
This is what happends without the Rhogam shot...if it does indeed cause other problems...well that sucks...cause thats the only treatment. Without the shot, you have a high chance of becoming sensitized with this pregnancy and not being able to have anymore. If that is your plan, to be done having children, then its your choice of course whether or not to have the shot...

Closed Thread