It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
(female)

Nicky2112 HB User
Rhogam shot

Hi, I'm almost 27 weeks pregnant and the doctor gave me an appointment to get a Rhogam shot at my 28th week appointment.

Are any of you Rh negative and have had this shot? There is some scary research about it out there and I'm a little concerned. I'd like to know if it is necessary to have it done while pregnant, or if it would be okay to get it within 72 hours after delivery. Some research suggests the shot could harm the fetus.

I'm torn, so any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
(female)

scabbyneutron HB User
Re: Rhogam shot

Hey nicky

I too need the shot. I got it with my two children and had no problem. I am now pregnant with my 3rd but im only about 11wks so i dont need it yet. My coworker also needed it but didnt get it and her daughter was born deaf.

When an Rh-negative woman carries an Rh-positive babythe baby’s red blood cells may get into the mother’s bloodstream. The mother’s immune system sees the baby’s Rh-positive red blood cells as foreign and goes to work to produce antibodies against them. The antibodies formed to protect you against Rh-positive red blood cells can pass to the baby you are carrying. They attack and destroy the baby’s Rh-positive red blood cells, causing anemia (low red blood cell count), jaundice, and in sever cases, heart failure. This condition is known as hemolytic disease of the newborn, or HDN.

good luck !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
(female)

Nicky2112 HB User

Thanks for the info, Scabby. I'm not against the shot, per se (my mom had it), but there is a theory out there that fears that getting it during pregnancy might be harmful to the fetus. The first born is safe, it is subsequent children who are at risk, so they suggest getting it 72 hours after delivery.

I guess many women got this shot while pregnant and had perfectly healthy children like you. It just sucks having to worry about everything all the time.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User

Hi Nicky

Can t really say much about the shot....though i am sure all will be ok. Just wanted to check on you.I can t believe you are already 28 weeks. I remember reading that you re having a boy have you decided what you are going to name him.How are you doing eitherwise?

Don t know if you ve seen my birth story. Jeremy was born 02/02 at 35 weeks. They were very tough days and the little one was in the NICU for around 2 weeks. All s well that ends well. I am now enkoying every little min that goes by with my little miracle.

Wishing you all the best

Amy

Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
(female)

Nicky2112 HB User

Hi Amy!

Yeah, we go back a long way.

I'm glad little Jeremy is doing fine. Yes, I did read his birth story and sent you healthy vibes all the way through the ordeal (it sounds weird, but you wouldn't believe the power of positive thinking ) Are you enjoying motherhood? Is it exhausting? I'm sure it's worth all the pain and exhaustion, though.

We are indeed having a little boy! I wanted a girl at first, but only because everybody in our families wanted a girl. Deep down I didn't really care as long as it was healthy. So far so good, and I am so excited about my little boy I can't wait to meet him in June! His name is Michael, but we call him Mikey for now. We'll start working on the nursery once I hit the third trimester (I can't believe that's around the corner already!) Today we have a tour of the hospital. It's all moving along. *happy dance*

I wish I could see a pic of little Jeremy. I feel like he is a little nephew of sorts.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
(female)

saskflash HB User

I am getting my first Rhogam shot this afternoon...and I look at it this way...it is the lesser of two evils...unless you are only planning on having one baby, we KNOW that RH sensitization will harm or kill a fetus...we THINK that the Rhogam shot MIGHT hurt the fetus..when I look at it that way...us RH Negs don't have much choice do we?

...except if we ONLY slept with men who are RH Negative....
"Before we sleep together dear, could you take a simple blood test"...lol

Last edited by saskflash; 03-19-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added

Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

Nicky2112 HB User

Now, that would be an option.

So, you've also heard that theory that the Rhogam shot hurts the fetus? It just makes me uneasy. I'd like to know for a fact that the shot will NOT hurt the baby. I guess nowadays there are no guarantees.

ETA: I hope your shot went well. Did it hurt?

Last edited by Nicky2112; 03-19-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
(female)

saskflash HB User

bit red and tender, like getting a vaccination really..

They way you gotta look at it is like this, everything could potentially harm a fetus...caffeine, food additives, Aspartame, food poisoning (listeria), certain viruses, smoking....
yet MOST babies are perfect in every way...against all odds...

Your baby will be perfect too

Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Rhogam shot

Hi Nicky

My daughter has had five children. She has had the Rhogam shot several times and has never had any problems with it. Take care Nicky.

Hugs Nadine

Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Rhogam shot

Nicky

I am glad you had the Rhogam shot. My prayers are with you and your baby

Hugs Nadine

Last edited by music47; 03-19-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Closed Thread