I just got a call from my OB today. My first screening test results came back 1:4 which is 20% chances that my baby have downs. I am in distraught.
Since this is a screening test they can not tell for sure but only gives you the risk ratio. I had my ultrasound done to measure the thickness of the baby's neck last week at 13 weeks and the blood test took a week to come back which is today. That combine with my age, gave them the risk ratio numbers.
I decided to do the amnio on the 15th week which is next week. They will do the fish test so I dont have to wait 2 weeks to get the result but it will only be a matter of 3-4 days.
This is very depressing for us. I just hope and pray that the amnio would come back normal. Because of this, I can not even think of buying maternity dress or cant even concentrate at work. I do not want to be put in this position where I have to think of what I should do just incase.
Pls pray for my baby's health.
Anyone had abnormal first screening and normal amnio?
I can t answer any of your questions......just wanted to let you know that i will be adding you and your little one to my list for prayers.
I also believe that such tests may sometimes be inaccurate and think that an amnio is much more accurate.
I can totally relate to what you are going through and I'm so sorry. I had my baby in February and went through a DS scare. I'm 37 so my OB pushed me hard for testing. I decided to have a Level 111 ultrasound which is an in-depth ultrasound that can pick up soft markers for DS. My ultrasound showed 2 soft markers for DS. The doctor told me the soft markers along with my age gave me a 1 in 9 chance of the baby having DS.
I was soooo upset. This all happened when I was around 20 weeks pregnant. My husband and I decided not to have an amnio after a lot of soul searching. I did have a quad screen after the ultrasound which came back normal.
I went through my entire pregnancy not knowing for sure whether or not the baby had DS. Things got better as my pregnancy progressed but it was always in the back of my mind. Thankfully my little boy is perfectly healthy.
I know one of the toughest things is waiting and I will be thinking and praying for you.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I am 37 and will be 38 by the time I will deliver in October. So the age factor was really taken into consideration when they calculated the risk. Although the ultrasound wasnt very good as well but that also depends if that nurse doing the ultrasound was able to get the right reading as she cant get an accurate view. She keeps tapping my belly and asked me to shake from side to side but the baby seems to be comfortable in one position.
There was a nasal bone and baby's size is normal. No other problems were seen in the ultrasound except the nuchal size. I think it is very concerning if there was no nasal bone as it is one of the characteristic of DS.
My OB seems so concerned and keeps asking me if I would terminate for downs. I was really caught offguard. The first thing I said was No! and then I said, I dont know My DH doesnt want me to stress out until the result of Amnio. I am a big worrier. I cant help thinking about this and Im sure I will have this thoughts in my dreams.
Hi Hotmama I am sorry that you are going through all this right now. I cannot relate because I have not had my 13 week scan yet, but I do have a friend who got pg with her second child at 36 she went for all th scans and tests regading DS and her ratio also came back 1:4 and she decided not to terminate and her baby boy is perfectly healthy. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sorry you are going through this. I too am a worrier and my DH always tries to ease my mind. It is just in my nature. I don't have any experience myself in reagards to your situation but a friend of mine also had the same scare. She did the amnio and it turned out that everything was ok. I had another friend who had similar situation and she decided against the amnio becuase she was going to have the baby no matter what and her baby is perfectly healthy. I'm sure your OB has not helped in regards to thinking postively. I'm sorry you were even asked the ? about termination. I will keep you and your little one in my prayers.
I am so sorry you have to worry about this. I have heard of a lot of errors w/ this testing. I hope everything turns out for the best & your little one is perfectly healthy. Sending many prayers your way.
i know it is impossible for u not to worry but when i was offered the test i was told that it has an extremely high false positive rate and 9 times out of 10 when it comes back abnormal everything is actually ok. after talking to my doctor i personally chose not to have the screening done. if it came back abnormal i would be all worried even though everything was probably ok. i really hope everything is ok for you. just remember that most of the time its nothing at all and chances are u will have a normal healthy baby
hotmama I am so sorry to heaar about your screening test results. My uncle's wife recently went through this..her initial screen was positive, she had the amnio and everything came back fine. I also read/heard the intial screening can yield false positives.
Best of luck and I will pray for your healthy baby.
Thank you all for your positives vibes and prayers. Thats all I need right now. I know I can not change whatever the actual results will be. But Im praying and Im staying positive.
It will be 2 days from now. Actually May 1, thursday when I go for my test. I asked for a 4 days off from work so I can fully rest after the procedure. Considering 2 days after thursday will be weekend, means my FISH result would take longer than 4 days. Right now, I havent really decided what to do just incase. I guess, I dont really wanna think about it. Maybe Im scared, just confused.
My OB seem not very reassuring. She ask me what my plans are instead of giving me advice or options.
Im the one who requested to have the amnio. She just told me that if I have anymore questions that I should call her. After the phone call, I was just frozen in the chair where I was sitting. And then I felt all alone. Tears running down my cheeks.
We havent told my family and inlaws yet. I guess we will just wait after the result of amnio.
I told some friends and coworkers. Everyone asking me if I'll keep the baby or not and I have no answer. I guess that is not really what I wanna hear right now. Like I said, I dont wanna be in that position of deciding what to do until my results are final. Im still hoping for a normal, healthy baby. I know there are so many mothers outthere who are happy with their DS child but I also know that they never wish DS on their baby. No mother would wish that for their child. And that's what I feel right now.
I just need prayers for now that everything will turn out to be okay.
I just read your post. When I was 16 weeks with my DD I did the Quad/blood test. My test came back that I had a 1:10 chance of my baby having Trisomy 18. I was devastated because I knew my baby would not live. My husband and I decided to do an amnio just to know for sure so we could prepare and prepare my children. anyway, we did an ultrasound level 2 when we got to the office and they found no markers for any downs. You can't imagine how happy we were to get those results. Everyone kept telling me it was because I was 39 and it made me a higher risk. Now I have a beautiful DD who is the joy of our lives. Don't make any desicions until you do every test possible to know for sure. There are so many false positives. I will pray for you and your baby! Let us know how things go. Blessings to you!