It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
Unhappy I'm suppose to stop taking the progesterone this week! ...scared.

I'm 10.5 weeks. So far, my appts. have been great and the baby is doing great! I had my last appt. when I was 9 weeks and my doc told me that I can stop taking the progesterone in 2 weeks which would make that this upcoming week. I'm on 100mg/daily of Prometrium. I started taking it the day after I ovulated up until now and I'm sooo afraid to stop. I m/c last September and I'm so worried that when I stop taking the prometrium, it will do something bad. I just feel like the Prometrium has gotten me to this point. I thought I was suppose to continue taking it through the first trimester. I'll only be 11 weeks this week. And I know after I stop taking it, I'm going to feel every single pain and just flip out and worry. I thought about just continuing to take it until I'm 13 weeks but of course, DH has to chime in and tell me I shouldn't go against the doctor. I just don't want to miscarry again and everything has been going so well. Anyone else been in this situation before?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
Re: I'm suppose to stop taking the progesterone this week! ...scared.

Hi CW,

I was also taking progesterone w/ my pg as we conceived through IVF. I always thought that if you went through IVF you had to take prog supplements for at least 12 weeks because your body wouldn't produce enough on it's own. However, my dr told me I could stop taking it at 8 weeks & everything is still going fine. I had an extra week of pills left, so I actually didn't stop until 9 weeks (I'm 11 weeks now). Like you, I was very scared to stop. Has your dr tested your prog level recently? I believe as long as it is over 15, there is nothing to worry about. Maybe finding out your level would make you feel better. I'd say if you still have a week's supply left & if it would make you less anxious, it should be okay to continue taking it until you run out. Of course, if your dr told you to stop taking it, you should also be fine w/o it.

Good luck!!

Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

Manda627 HB User

Hi thought I would chime in and tell you it is completely safe to stop. I do know where you are coming from!! I miscarried back in February and I looked to everything to give me a reason why I did. This time around I got my beta results and I had them do a progesterone check and it was ok but to me kind of low. ( I have a few DR's that are friends and thought it was low but ok) So I had my OB put me on prometrium. It kind of gave me piece of mind. Back to your question though, if you have enough to last you another week I would go ahead and take them.. Orally or Vaginally whichever... Tell your husband your concerns and it really cant "hurt" you. I did. I actually switched to Crinone 9% vaginally once a day at night and I kept on it til 12 weeks and then stopped and everything is ok!! Baby girl should be here anytime now!!

Dont worry. Enjoy your pregnancy, your almost into the 2nd tri-mester!!
Good Luck!

Amanda

Old 05-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User

I also took progesterone with IVF and was told I could stop at 9 weeks of pregnancy. You have every right to feel the way you are feeling because of the fears of your past, but I can reassure you that your OB would not want you to stop if he/she thought it was not a good idea. Your body starts to make a lot more progesterone when your prego. I am now 38 weeks pregnant. Hang in there and we are here to support your every worry. I pray you have a healthy worry free pregnancy.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

I was also on progesterone after I found out I was preggo, my Dr took me off the prog at 11 weeks and everything sis stll going well. I have my 13 week appoinment on Thursday. I know you feel anxious, I did too but like the other girls have said it cannot harm to finish the packet if you still have some. Good luck I am sure everything is going to be perfect.

Charlene

Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I was also scared to stop taking progesterone. My perinatologist said to me "Taking progesterone while pregnant is like putting a drop of water into a pool." That made me feel better. I stopped at 12 weeks (he told me to stop at 8 but I had just refilled mine) and everything was fine. I'm sure you will be fine!

Closed Thread