It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

ajwall HB User
Unhappy bicornuate uterus and preterm birth????

Hey there, I am 11 weeks and I have a bicornuate uterus... meaning my uterus is heart-shaped with a septum dividing the upper portion... just like a heart... the two sides at the top are called horns... and the baby is located in the right horn in a good position... my OB said that the chances of me having the baby preterm were really high because of the shape of my uterus...

I am really nervous... I know that I can't worry because God is in control and He has brought us sooo far since we found out we were pregnant... (the doctors pretty much told us we were miscarrying because I had heavy bleeding... but the bleeding was coming from the other side of the uterus away from the baby) We have seen miracles during this .. so I know that God has a purpose.. I'm just REALLY concerned about having the baby early..

i'm also small built and I don't know if that means anything either... I have not had any other OB problems or history of issues... I just worry that I'll lose the baby or that it will come too early to have a healthy start...

does anyone have any experience with this condition that could encourage me or inform me of precautions... the OB also wanted to check my cervical length with an ultrasound next time I came in... which will be in 4 weeks... any info would be appreciated...

I hate the pending feelings of guilt.. knowing that if something did happen to my baby it would be because of MY uterus... because of MY body... that this life depends on me (ultimately on God) but on me... and that I
could fail it....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User
Re: bicornuate uterus and preterm birth????

It is my understanding that the most common complication of a bicornate uterus is early miscarriage, and that if you make it through the first trimester then your chances of preterm labour are not hugely greater than average - unless you have any other complications.

It is, however, very common that people with this shape of uterus may be advised to have a c-section delivery.

Good luck with the pregnancy, I have a lot of hope for you - you are almost at the end of the first trimester too, which is obviously very reassuring for you.

H x

Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Re: bicornuate uterus and preterm birth????

Hi!
I too have a "double" uterus...sounds like pretty much the same shape as yours as there are several "shapes" of bicorniate uterus's.
I was worried SICK too when I finally got pregnant. I knew my chances of miscarrying were higher and was walking on eggshells for about 4 months soooo nervous. I also had the bleeding from the other side of my uterus....I was sick over it.
Well, I'm now 25 weeks...and I'm doing well. My baby is in my right side as wel. I'm of a small build too. I am about 5'7" and started out at 122 lbs and now I'm at 137ish...I seem to be doing rather well. He's moving all around in there kicking and punching. The fear does go away after you get past the first few months but of course, I still think about it but not as often.

The position my baby was in when I had my sonogram was weird...I think he was like head down or something and they said when they are in that position that early...that usually means you end up having a c-section..I don't know why though. I dont' know if it's because of the double uterus or not. I have to have a c-section anyways due to my fused spine so I'm not alarmed.

Sooooooo, try not to worry too much..I definitely know it's hard. It does get better and you're almost to the second tri-mester and that will relieve some worries.
God Bless

Closed Thread