It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

proudmommaoftwo HB User
Induce or not?

Well, I am 3 days past my EDD and still no sign of this baby coming. We go back to the doctor tomorrow to see if she is still up high and to be checked. I am set to induce on Tuesday but I'm not sure if I want to do that. I was induced with my last child and it was a lot worse than with my first. I have to remind myself though that it was medically needed and that I hadn't even started to efface or dilate. As of last week I was about 1cm and 25% effaced but that may have changed and if so then I can induce. My DH's boss's wife was induced last week and needed a c-section and I really don't want a c-section.

I really want to meet our beautiful DD but I'm scared of being induced. I don't know what to do!

Old 06-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Induce or not?

for me i would want to be induced. if he is more then a couple days late i want them to induce me. i am so excited to meet this little man that i dont think i could wait an extra week. im due sept 22 but the full moon is on sept 15 so im hoping thats the day hes going to come. people keep telling me he will be born that day cuz full moons put people into labor but idk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User

I WAS INDUCED AND IT WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT. ALTHOUGH I WAS IN LABOR FOR 16 HOURS. I THINK BECAUSE IT WAS MY FIRST. I HAD A VAGINAL DELIVERY AND ONLY HAD TO PUSH FIVE TIMES. I USED THE BIRTHING BALL A LOT WHICH REALLY GOT THE BABY DOWN. HANG IN THERE.

Last edited by Mod08; 06-08-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Please read posting rules: Do not use capital letters

Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
(female)

proudmommaoftwo HB User

Jsquared.... so when you were induced they allowed you to get out of bed? When I was induced with my second child they made me stay in bed the whole time except to use the restroom. I only had to push for twenty minutes and she was born but I remember the contractions being very hard and very close together. I could hardly catch my breath so that is what I am nervous about this time around. Well, I go in tomorrow so we shall see what the doctor says.

Thank you for the replies!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

my first was a week late! we had my second induced two weeks early (she was due on my first's birthday, right around christmas, so we chose to spread them out a bit!).

so i went in around 8-ish, they started the drugs (whatever they give for induction), and my baby was born around noon-ish. it was a breeze! i'd definitely do it again!!! good luck!!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User

Yes, I was able to get out of bed. This was before the epidural though. I was given something to take the edge of later through my IV and about 4 hours before I delivered I was given the epideral. When I went in I was only 1 cent dialated. they broke my water around 7:30 in the morning and I delivered at 8:05 in the evening. When I was given the epideral I went from 4 cent dialated to 8 and then to ten within those 4 hours. I actually dialated to a 10 quicker then expected and they had to stop the pitosin until my OB arrived because I was ready to push. I really think the birthing ball helped. I rolled my hips like I was using a hula hoop. I did have a ton of back labor though. My DH had to dig his fist in my back and pull my hip bones out to somewhat aliviate (sp?) the pain. I hope you have an easy birth. It is not fun when you know you've had a hard delivery in the past. You have every right to be anxious.

Last edited by Jsquared; 06-08-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
(female)

Christine73 HB User

I think doctors induce far too quickly...if there is nothing wrong with the baby or the mommy, I see no harm in waiting a couple of weeks to see if things happen naturally. I was induced with my first after being 4 days over the due date..it was hell...I refused with my second and went 8 days over and the birth was so much easier.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
(female)

missmeliss HB Usermissmeliss HB User

Yes, I agree 100% with Christine! Doctors are intervention-happy these days! Since when is a baby being a couple days late a big deal? My daughter was 11 days overdue and I refused to be induced. Of course I knew that the baby was going to come out eventually on it's own....when it was ready. When I finally did go into labor I was at 5 cm for a few hours and not progressing, so they gave me pitocin (the same med they use to induce). My contractions instantly went from tolerable to unbearable. I wanted to have a natural birth, but after they started the pitocin, I needed an epidural within the hour because I couldn't take the pain. I feel like most hospitals are just in too big of a hurry to get things done and over with. Women have been giving birth to babies since the beginning of time without all of these interventions. I will do so many things differently this time - including laboring at home for as long as possible. Laying in a hospital bed being poked and prodded for 12 hours isn't my idea of a relaxing labor process. I am going to let mother nature control what happens this time, not my doctor! Lol - can you tell I feel strongly about this subject?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

magster04 HB User

missmeliss and Christine~~ AMEN to doctors being in too much of a hurry!!!!

I was induced because my bp was too high (found out since my dr induces almost all her patients so now I think she used my bp as an excuse to talk me into it since I was very open about not wanting to be induced) and I will never be induced again unless there's a really really good reason and my baby is in danger. It was ridiculous! I was hooked up to moniters and not allowed to move except for the bathroom from 5pm on a sunday until the next day when I delivered. I was so tired I couldn't push efficiently enough to get my son out. I think it would have been a different experience if I hadn't been in there all night and if i'd been allowed to move around. The pitocin really does kick in the contractions!!! I made it for about an hour on the pitocin and got something in my iv to help. From there I made it to 7 1/2 cm til I had to have an epidural. The contractions were coming so fast! I also wanted to have a natural birth and am dissapinted in my experience. Needless to say, I'm going to find a new dr next time around. one who won't push me into somthing I don't want. At the same time, next baby for me I know I won't be easily convinced

Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

It is much better to try to let this happen naturally. Your conception date could be off. Just remember that when you use drugs, you are messing with the bodies hormones and it can lead to the higher rate of c-sections that we see today. Give it time, try walking and other things like that. I HIGHLY agree with the previous posters. Drugs are part of a multi billion dollar a year business and doctors want to hurry it along. I had a natural childbirth with a midwife in a hospital and I was in labor for 14 hours. That is a lot of time for midwife or a doctor to hang around and many women spend even more time in labor than I did. My midwife sat with me the whole time, only leaving the room several times to eat quickly or take a small break. The doctors don't have this time and with these drugs available now, it becomes much easier.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 06-09-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Closed Thread