It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
nitrazine test strips

i found out i can buy nitrazine test strips that detect if you are leaking amniotic fluid. can these be bought in a drug store? i found them online for 10 dollars but i dont really want to pay shipping if i dont have too. shipping is almost as expensive as the actual strips.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: nitrazine test strips

If you think that you may be leaking ambiotic fluid, you need to be tested right away by your Dr. If that is the case, you are at a much greater risk for bacteria to get into the womb and cause a lot of complications. My water broke with my first son when I was 2 week overdue and the strip you are talking about was unable to pick up that it was indeed my bag of waters. This was done at the hospital. I laid there for 12 hours before the Dr. came in and did another test. It was in fact my water and an infection had already set in. It was a very bad labor and delivery, won't go into that, all ended up OK, but I would not want anyone to go through what I did because of that infection. Please get checked out.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i called the dr friday and they didnt seem all that concerned so i called again today but they havent called back yet. what was it like when you leaked fluid? i dont know how to tell if this is just discharge

Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Why do you think you are leaking amniotic fluid??? Is it just b/c you are "wet" down there? If that's the case, then it's probably discharge. Some days I have a TON and some days, it's very light. Some days it's watery and some days it's thicker. The chances of you leaking amniotic fluid now is slim and if your doctor isn't worried then you shouldn't be either.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

If YOU suspect it is abnormal, then your DR., should be concerned. Remember, they work for you, so the fact that they are disregarding this concern is not acceptable.
I was told that if it soaks a pad in a few hours then it was most likely the water. Mine broke when I was sleeping on my side and it was a sudden gush then some constant leaking.
Call again and insist that you be seen.
N
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

yeah its cuz ive been extremely wet down there lately. i dont feel like im constantly peeing myself or anything like that and a lot of the time i dont even feel it coming out but my panty liner is wet when i check. i explain everything more in my "kinds tmi but need an answer" thread. if anyone could read that and get back to me it would really help a lot. my drs office called me back and the nurse said she doesnt think its fluid but that i could come in sometime this week if i wanted to have it checked. im guessing that if she thought it was a leak she would have had me come in today. i would go to the er or l&d now just to make me feel better but i live about 20-25 minutes from the hospital and we are getting dangerous weather and shouldnt be out in it. i live in tornado alley so when they say dont travel they mean it. i can still feel him moving. if i was leaking fluid would he stop moving?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

if your water breaks it doesn't mean your baby will stop moving. Nitrazine strips are effective in detecting larger leaks...sometimes they don't detect the smaller leaks. if there is any doubt in your mind, you should go to the dr asap...if your water breaks, your chance of infection are HIGH which would put baby at risk...

i wouldn't waste my time buying them online...that's what you have a DOCTOR for and INSURANCE!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

ive been reading up on it more and im really starting to think that im just being paranoid. i read that i would be able to feel it coming out that it would be constant and that when i got up from laying down or sneezed it would gush out and none of that has happened im just wetter then usual. ive always been one to have quite a bit of discharge even when i wasnt pregnant so maybe this is just an increase. the baby is sitting right on my bladder and i pee A LOT but there isnt a UTI its just from his position so i guess it could be urine leakage too. im a very anxious person and tend to find things to worry about even if i have had them for a while. i also read that hot temperatures can make your discharge more watery and it has been in the high 90s low 100s here lately so maybe thats it. idk im just trying to make myself not panic about things.

Last edited by sg1112; 06-17-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Closed Thread