It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

Tiffany13 HB User
Question Lactation Questio

I have heard that sometimes women will begin lactating before they actually deliver, especially if it is not there first pregnancy and they have breast fed before. I didn't have much luck with breast feeding ds, as my milk never fully came in (my supply couldn't keep up with his demand) but over the past few days my breasts are sorer than they have been this entire pregnancy and they feel like the weigh 10lbs. each. That feeling reminded me of what little milk I did produce coming in. So I guess my question is... has early lactation happened to any of you and if so how far along were you when it happened? What did you do about it? Obviously you would wear a breast pad to absorb the leaking but did you have to pump? Any experiences you have to share that would answer my questions about this issue are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Tiffany13; 06-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
(female)

daina HB User
Re: Lactation Questio

Hi Tiffany,

During my first pregnancy my breast started leaking colostrum at about 17 weeks. A few days ahead of that little white bumps appeard on my nipples. It continued all the way to the end of pregnancy, with the leaking increasing towards the end. I started wearing pads, but it never was so much that I had to pump (just a few drops now and then, especially during sleep). I just didn't want the colostrum on my bra...

This time around the white bumps on my nipples appeared at 13 weeks, but now at 22 weeks I have yet to experience any leakage...

From what I have read it is by no means indicative of your milk supply. I didn't actually get the milk supply until the end of the 3rd day after delivery...

Hope breastfeeding works for you this second time around.

Take care,
D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Tiffany13 HB User

Diana, thanks for your reply. Everything you said makes perfect sense. So far I haven't had any leaking. I'm 17 weeks so we'll see what happens in the upcoming weeks. Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi Tiffany,

I just wanted to say that you if you end up having a heavy leaking problem, you shouldn't pump. It can put you into pre-mature labor. I wondered about this with my first baby because I was leaking around 20-25 weeks, but I researched it and it's really a big no-no.

Whiskers

Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

Tiffany13 HB User

Whiskers, Thank you so much for your reply that is excellent information and I really appreciate it. So far I haven't leaked but I anticipate the possibility just based on how my breasts feel.
Thanks Again!

Closed Thread