It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User
39 WEEK QUESTIONS ?? Please help!

Hi,

I just got back from the Dr.'s and I was measuring @ 39 1/2, I am 39 weeks.
She checked my cervix and it was 1-2 cent. dialated and 70% thinned.

Also, baby is not engaged yet, but head down. She also said there seems to be extra fluid, and the baby may be 8-9 pounds?? What does extra fluid mean? The baby may not be as big as excepted?? Everyone thinks I look so big!! Could it just be all the fluid??

My due date is 7-2-08, and she thinks I will go a little past, but natually so. She will not let me go over 1 week past my due date.

So, I am wondering if I could have the baby sooner, and what to do to start having contractions regularly? I am worried about having a huge baby!! My first was 6.9 pounds, and 2 1/2 hours of pushing!!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User
Re: 39 WEEK QUESTIONS ?? Please help!

Hey, my first was only 5 lbs. 15 oz. and they are saying this one could be 7.5-8lbs. I don't know how accurate their estimate is since it is only estimate, remember that. they can be off by a 1lb. or more. I will be going for my 38 week check up this Friday to see how I am doing but as far as getting labor started I've heard walking a lot and intercourse can help. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

With my son the ultrasound said over 8lbs he was just 7lbs. My SIL had her baby in April again ultrasound was off by 1.5lbs.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi there,
Yeah--as the other posters said, they can be really off on their estimates. I don't know about the fluid... I think it can make you look bigger though. With my ds, my ob wouldn't tell me how big she thought he would be because it can really make a person worry if they estimate small, or large. My sister's ob told her though, that her baby would be small--about 6lbs, and he ended up being born 9lbs 4oz! So I wouldn't worry too much about what she says about weight.
As far as having your baby early, I have also heard intercourse and walking may help push you into labor, however neither helped me. The thing that did work (and this is a little contraversal) was castor oil! I'm not recommending you try it, but I had heard that it worked for other people, so I tried it and it did give me contractions. I was overdue by almost a week when I decided to do it, I was desperate to get that baby out, plus dh had taken some time off work hoping I would deliver when he was home, and had to go back to work in a couple days, so I decided to try. I took it at about 6pm Friday, and was up all night with contractions, went to the hospital about 5am on Saturday. I ended up being sent home however (they were full with women in active labor), but they said they thought I would be back that night because the contractions were very regular, and somewhat strong.
Anyways, sorry for rambling, just wanted to share what did and didn't work for me.

Whiskers

Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i wouldnt listen to estimates or what your friends say. how big you look has nothing to do with the size of your baby. my friend had a baby last year and the drs estimated that the baby would be about 10 pounds and she had gained 65 pounds. she got huge! her daughter was born on her dur date weighting 5 pounds 13 ounces. no one can know for sure until the babies born.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Thanks for all the replies/ Any more too will be helpful!!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

I am surprised they said anything about fluid. The only way that can be measure is through an ultrasound The measurement of your uterus in can be + or - 2cm in regards to fetal growth.....and that can be subjective because 2 different people can measure you and have 2 different results. I think you are right on target.
It really depends on the size of your uterus. Little women can have big babies, large women small babies???? The more babies you have the bigger they come out because of how your uterus can s t r e t c h. I'm on #4 and a little worried, but I rather have a big fat baby then a smaller one. Bigger babies seem to be more content from my experiences.
Babies do have a tendency to put on a pound a week the last month, but you really never know when you are going to go. Just try to hang on. Good luck to you and God bless

Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

skyy11 HB User

Again, thank you all for the info. and support...

It's funny, I spoke to my niece yesterday, and w/ her second birth, the baby was 8 pounds and much easier to push than w/ her first that was like 6 pounds and something. She said your body just stretches easier the second time around and the total pushing time was cut down too.

I guess my Mom is the one that is really driving me crazy because she has had 7 babies and knows everything.lol(yeah right) She keeps saying the baby is putting on so much weight from here on in and that I should of had him by now.She keeps asking me about my weight!
She thought I was having twins at one point. She is such a hard woman to understand sometimes. I mean I am almost at my due date, what else should I look like!?? And now I am getting worried that something is wrong w/ the baby because of all this...I am so stressed and tired out. Even my Hubby thought the baby would be here by now since my first was 1 week before due date.

Just needed to vent, sorry!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy11 View Post

I guess my Mom is the one that is really driving me crazy because she has had 7 babies and knows everything.lol(yeah right) She keeps saying the baby is putting on so much weight from here on in and that I should of had him by now.She keeps asking me about my weight!
She thought I was having twins at one point. She is such a hard woman to understand sometimes. I mean I am almost at my due date, what else should I look like!?? And now I am getting worried that something is wrong w/ the baby because of all this...I am so stressed and tired out. Even my Hubby thought the baby would be here by now since my first was 1 week before due date.

Just needed to vent, sorry!
I think it's could be the generation. My mother has been ok, but when she was pregnant with my oldest brother 45 years ago they had her take DIET PILLS during her pregnacy to keep the weight down!!!!!!
Now, that is NUTS!
Some people say I'm huge other say I look small...........oh well. Good luck.
I'm really stressed too I don't have my bag packed. I'm just washing baby clothes today, crib needs to be put together and God know where the car seat is right now!!!!

Closed Thread