It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

suewaz HB User
Fibroid Pain and Pregnancy

Hi. So, I was hospitalized last week for severe pain on my left side. They first thought it was kidney stones, but it turned out to be my fibroids growing. The pain was so bad. They had me on fentanyl in the hospital and I have been on percocet since I have been released. My OB is prescribing these to me. She told me that at this point it is all about pain management and there is nothing that they can do. She also said it is possible I will be in pain for the remainder of the pregnancy. I am surprised by the amount of pain meds that she is prescribing me, but they are very helpful so I have been taking them. I figure I should trust her, and she wouldn't prescribe me anything that would be harmful. I am 27 weeks pregnant. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their pregnancy? How did they cope with the pain? Did anyone have further complications due to fibroids?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
(female)

spyrogirlkim HB User
Re: Fibroid Pain and Pregnancy

My 17 year old daughgter just got out of hospital for same thing.She is 28 weeks aong in her pregnancy.I thought at 17 you were to young to get fibroids.Hers is right above belly button and is seen on outside of her belly.I have never heard of this happening before and my last pregnancy 16 yeard ago my uterous had about 3 tumors in it.They were so bad my baby quit growing at last month.She is a healthy 15 year old now.I just hope the doctor my daughter has is right and its just a fibroid that is showing on outsie and not something worse.I have searched internet and found nothing about fibroids being able to see them on outside of body.Hers looks like a golf ball just above her belly button.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Fibroid Pain and Pregnancy

I have fibroids, as do about 30-40% of all women on the planet, so don't think it's uncommon. Many women don't know that they have them.

I have one large one (7cm) that is in the wall of my uterus and two smaller ones that are "pendunculated" (hanging off like a mushroom). They cause me some pain and bloating and heavier periods when I'm not pregnant, so I will probably have mymectomy to remove them after this pregnancy (I'm not planning on any additional kids after this).

In my first pregnancy I had a bunch of extra screening u/s to check for cervical length starting at 18 weeks (biweekly) because the perinatologist was concerned that the fibroid would continue growing due to the increased estrogen and would cause the baby to get pushed out of the uterus. Earlier in my pregnancy the OB was worried about the large fibroid blocking the cervix and causing problems later with labor (I had a c-section, though).

When I had the amnio the perinatologist had a little difficulty in finding a spot that both had enough amniotic fluid AND wasn't over the fibroids. He did the needle stick but said it wasn't 100% sure that he was going to be able to get fluid. He did, though, so all was well.

The only pain I tend to feel in pregnancy (so far, knock on wood!) is when one of the smaller ones gets twisted a little. Sometimes they can twist and cut off their blood supply and just die.

You're kinda SOL until after pregnancy, though. Good luck to you!

There are some books on fibroids that provide quite a bit of info about surgical and non-surgical options and how fibroids effect pregnancy and fertility. You might check with your library.

Closed Thread