It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User
1hr glucose test result?

I had my one hour today and it was suppose to be below 100 well mine was 168. I knew something was wrong after about 20 mins I started getting a really bad headache my eyes started hurting and I was so jittery and sick feeling. But here is the thing I go eat sweats I might have a coke once a day or every other day but that is all. NO candy cakes cookies stuff like that. I have never felt like that before so I know my sugar hasn't been that high before. Now I have to go for the 3hr on 7/3. I eat healthy and I do walk as much as the dr will let me,I'm not to do to much I'm on high risk to start with. I have only gained 4lbs of the 15lbs I lost back. Is this something I should be worried about? My DH thinks the test is crazy he said you take someone that don't have much sugar to begin with then you feel them full of sugar and give them one major sugar rush when your body isn't use to it to begin with what do they expect it to do? I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but it does make sense to me.
Has anyone else had this problem? I am almost 23 wks and all I want to do is enjoy this hard worked for pregnacy and I just seem to keep running into more stress.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User
Re: 1hr glucose test result?

Hi Tami. With my DS, I failed my 1 hr too. I didn't have the same reaction that you did, but I still had to go for the 3hr. Now, I DO NOT want to scare you, but I have a horrible time with the 3 hr. In fact, I attempted it twice and couldn't complete it. The first attempt, I drank the drink and within 15 minutes I started to get really light headed and felt like the room was going white. I ran out of the place, to get air, and just as I got outside, I threw up and had an "accident" in my pants (the most humiliating experience of my life!!). It was totally involuntary . . . I had no control. I think I kind of passed out too because I came to on the ground. The women who worked @ the place were awful to me . . . (but that's A WHOLE other story). The 2nd attempt, I made sure to be close to the bathroom and alerted the lady to what happened the first time. Again, a few minutes after I drank it, I felt faint and was able to make to the bathroom (where I threw up, not the other). I actually fell against the wall, but the lady was there to catch me. After that, I told my doctor that I wasn't going to try for a 3rd time. I never did and everything was fine. I'm going for my 1hr on Tuesday (I'm a little late since I'll be 28 wks by then). Even if the results say I need to do the 3hr, I don't think I'm going to attempt it. Just the thought makes me nervous. Like your doc said, it seems like a useless test anyway.

Again, don't freak out over my experience. Everyone is different. Just be aware that your body may have a bad reaction and plan accordingly (i.e.. be near a bathroom). Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I don't know that your glucose being high really has anything to do with how you are eating. I think it's just the way your body is metabolizing or handling the sugar. I could be wrong though. My brother's girlfriend had GD during both of her pregnancies and she is a very healthy, active, and tiny person. She probably weighs as much as my arm. So again, I don't think your weight or activity level have a lot to do with you ending up with GD or not. And don't worry about failing your one hour test. I failed mine during my first pregnancy and had to do the three hour test as well. I passed that one just fine. So just because you failed the first test doesn't mean you are destined to end up having GD. Good luck and I hope it goes well!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

I just got an order for a glucose test last week at the dr. office my appt. is not until July 5th. During that time i will be 29 weeks Should i be worried that im taking the test too late? I ask because alot of you are having the test done around 22-26 weeks and i will be almost 30weeks.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

I talked to my Aunt today that is diabetic and has been all her life so she knows alot about it. She told me not to worry about that test and that I wasn't really that much over. She even said that being I don't eat sweats and I limit myself to one can of vanilla coke a day so in a 24hr period I might have 50grams of sugar. That it will make my test come back high because my body isn't use to the sugar that was put in it. That if I was someone that ate sweats alot that my body would be use to regulating high amounts of sugar and the test would of come back fine. She also said the way it made me feel yesterday if I had sugar problems I would feel like that alot but I don't.

I have checked my sugar today on just my regular diet and it has been 78 and 91 and that is with my coke like normal.

My DH and I have talked and and talked it over with my dr.if I can't keep the stuff down for the 3hr I'm not doing it again. I dehydrate really easily and we are not going to risk it. We are just going to keep a regular check on my sugar.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE

Old 06-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
(female)

Tiffany13 HB User

I just wanted to wish you luck with your 3 hour test, I'm sure everything will be fine. It does make since that your body might have just been a little off since its not used to the sweets being in your system.
As to respond to a previous poster about when the test should be taken, with my first I took it at 28 weeks and doctor already told me that is what to expect this time too. I'm not sure if there is a certain time window and every doctor has there "favorite or ideal" time to do it or not but I was actually surprised to know that a lot of women on the board are being tested as early as 22 weeks. I guess that's why I'm not a doctor, LOL!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

JustDance HB User

Hi Tami,

I just got back from my 1hr glucose and it was pretty cool that I got an email shortly thereafter with my lab results. I logged in and it said my number was 100, but it wasn't flagged as high or low. Unfortunately the system didn't say whether that was in the normal range, but I kind of assume that it was ok because it wasn't "flagged" in the system.

Is 100 the recommended cutoff? If so, I must be really, really close.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

I was told 100 or below.

My aunt also said her daughter did the same test just to make sure she wasn't diabetic like her mom because it runs in the family on DH side she is like me don't eat stuff that is sweat and hers came back higher than mine. Well it turns out she isn't diabetic it was just her body reacting to something it's not use to. She checks hers regular just to make sure and it is always good
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE

Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
(female)

madera74 HB User

I had my glucose test this week and my numbr came back at 136. But my doctor said that anything under 140 is just fine and I don't have to retest.

And for the poster who asked about when the test is normally done, from what I've read it's usually between weeks 24 and 28.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

the glucose tolerance test is designed to see how your body metabolizes sugar. whether you're eating sweets or not has nothing to do with it. the reason why they give you a certain amount of glucose is to see if your body can metabolize the glucose efficiently. 168 is high but that doesn't mean that you will have gestational diabetes. in the 3 hour, they draw blood 4 times. if 2 of the 4 draws are high (there are specific cutoffs) you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes (which essentially means you have a glucose intolerance).

by no means is this test "useless." sure it's a headache but it's better that they ensure your body can metabolize the sugar otherwise you and baby can have an array of complications, most notably macrosomia (when the baby grows too large) and you can have dystocia (where the baby's shoulders get stuck in a vaginal delivery). Additionally, after birth, the baby may suffer from Hypoglycemia because he/she is used to being delivered large amounts of sugar while in the womb. You and baby are also at risk for developing late onset (type 2) diabetes...

Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

What should i do to prepare for my 1hr Glucose Test???

Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i go for my one hour on wednesday. ive checked my sugar a few times on one of the at home monitors. my grandmas diabetic so she has all that stuff. everytime i have taken it my sugar has come back perfect. does this mean that more then likely ill pass the glucose test? i dont know if the home test can help indicate what the glucose test results will be.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare for it.
As far as normal reading at home Mine is the same thing I have a really good blood sugar level at home I check it a couple times a day but I still fell the one hour so I don't know. I have my 3 hr Thursday and if I fell it I am going to show the dr where I take my sugar daily and keep records of it that it's normal.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE

Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #14
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User

Well, as expected, I failed my 1 hr test. As they started to bring up the 3hr, I told them how nervous I was to do it because of the awful time that I had when I attempted it twice during my 1st pregnancy. The doc decided to skip the 3 hr for now. He's having me come in, fasting, and he'll do the test. Then, I have to go eat breakfast, wait 2 hours, and then he'll do the test again. If the numbers are normal, he said we won't even worry about the 3 hour. So, hopefully, the numbers will be alright and I won't have to go through everything I went through 3 years ago!!!

Closed Thread