It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

PrivateH HB User
anyone have baby with intrathecal pump implant?

I am a chronic pain person due to an accident. I have an intrathecal pump implant that has dilaudid in it. I am working toward getting off all of my oral medication aside from my pump. (which I am told does not cross the placenta barrier like oral meds do) I know it's not perfect, but I have always wanted to experience pregnancy and have my own child... I am trying to do research on any information anyone may have about my situation. Is there anyone on here who has had a child with an intrathecal pump implant and working? And/or anyone who has to take medication for chronic pain that has had a child? Please post your outcome (removed). Thanks. I am really trying to gather all the information I can.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-05-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: please read the posting rules

Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

RachLuvJun HB User
Re: anyone have baby with intrathecal pump implant?

So does anyone know of others having children with an intrathecal pump--or while taking narcotics for chronic pain? I'd love to hear more.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-22-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: do not post to the moderator - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frank_n_beans HB User

I am very interested in this too. I am 29 and my husband and I are thinking of TTC in the next 8-12 months. I have chronic pain and am considering an intrathecal pump or an SCS (currently trialing a stimulator). Pregnancy and the safety of the fetus is a big concern of mine...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

wsnmbaker HB User

Hi All, I know this post was from a loooong time ago but I just stumbled across it and thought I'd let you know that YES someone has had a baby with a pump implanted. Me. We had a relatively uneventful pregnancy has far as the pump was concerned.

The morphine in the pump did not cross the placenta & the baby had no trace of morphine in his system. Yea!!! And, of course, no birth defects.

I'm a larger lady to begin with but the cath did not pull as I got bigger during the pregnancy.

I had to have a general anesthesia c-section. Since I already have a cath in my spine (from the pump) the doctors did not want to put another one in to have an epidural. BTW, my OBs & PM doctors all talked about it.

My pump is on my left side and he rode a lot on the right side. We feared that he might kick it but, nope. He just tried to avoid it.

Any other problems we had during pregnancy was due to gestational diabetes & my high blood pressure. We made it exactly 37 weeks. And, he did spend 2 weeks in NICU but, that was due to juandice & normalizing his blood sugar.

Now I did come off all other pain meds before getting pregnant and we did not increase the morphine dose while pregnant.

What else???? Oh, I did not breast feed. No need to push our luck when there's perfectly good formula for him drink.

Well, those are the highlights but, if you have any other questions I'll be happy to try to answer. We never thought we'd be able to have children with all the medication I had to take for my back. And, initially we thought needing a pain pump was the complete end of that dream. When in reality it was just the beginning. Our boy is now 4 years old, has no physical or mental problems. In fact, he's smart as a whip and hard for me keep-up with. What a blessing.

I sure hope this helps answer any questions you may still have about pregnancy & the pump. I know when I was pregnant there was no information available about it.

Nikki

Closed Thread