It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Anyone been diagnosed with BV???

So I have been having some issues in that "area" lately. I posted regarding it before. I was confused because I thought maybe I had a yeast infection but the strange this is that it doesn't bother me every day. Maybe once or twice a week I will be itchy down there. Well on Sunday I started to feel like I had a bladder infection. So I called my OB and got an appointment today. She checked my urine and although I guess it has to be sent out for analysis, she did say there was a small amount of protein and lucacytes (SP?) so that I might have a UTI. She prescribed Microbid (SP?) which I am about ready to pick up from the pharmacy. I explained to her how I've been having some minor off and on itching so she decided to take a look. She said I had a fair amount of discharge and that it could be BV. Has anyone else had BV before? If so, what causes it and what were your symptoms. I have read up about it and it just doesn't seem like what I am experiencing. From all I've read, if left untreated it would just keep getting worse. Like I said, this has been so off and on, I was almost thinking that I was just irritated from the normal increase in discharge. It doesn't sound like BV symptoms are what I am experiencing. I of course have to wait to find out for sure as they had to take a swab and send it off for analysis. I just wish I knew for sure if that is what I have and if so, why and how????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Anyone been diagnosed with BV???

i had it a few months ago. you can get it if your partner has it and you have sex but thats not the only way you get it, its just from an overgrowth of bacteria and that can happen for no reason. the only symptom i had was more discharge. they gave me some flagyl to take for a week and it cleared right up. its not a big deal unless it is left untreated for a long time then it can cause pelvic inflammatory disease but i dont think thats all that common and occurs when people go for months and months or even years without treatment. i also took macrobid when i had a uti and i was feelin better in a couple days.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Hey Delia, I pop in here every once in a while and saw your post. Yes, I had this and no, it's NOT a sexually transmitted disease like some Internet sites will tell you. You do NOT get it from your partner either, which is why your husband will not need to be treated.
It is an overgrowth of bacteria that mimics a yeast infection and it was extremely irritating to me. To me the most annoying symptom was the feeling like I had to pee all the time and slight itching. The antibiotics prescribed cleared it up. A lot of women feel like they have yeast infection, but it's actually BV.
I hope you feel better soon!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Laura,
Wow, that sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing so maybe that is what is going on. From what I read on the internet it sounded a lot different. Thanks for your advice and I am glad to hear it should go away pretty easily. How annoying!!!!

So if I have already started the Macrobid for the UTI, are they going to turn around and prescribe something else for the BV if that is what I have???? I am just curious because I am already taking 5 prescriptions and really hate taking medicine when I am pregnant. The ones I am on I have no choice but to take but I hate to keep adding to the list. I am guessing the Macrobid won't help the BV???

Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
(female)

fallenangel065 HB User

I had it a couple weeks ago but I actually had it when I was younger before I was even sexually active.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

they will have to give you something else for the BV. i treated a uti one week and then treated the bv the next. i was told by my dr that its not a std but you and your partner can pass it back and forth to each other however its very hard for a guy to catch it even if you are having a ton of sex while you have it thats why they dont treat guys for it unless you would have recurring infections then they would treat him to see if thats what was causing it. the dr told me all this cuz i asked him when i was diagnosed if my bf needed to be treated.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Well DH and I definitely aren't having a lot of sex!!! Poor guy! I am too tired for that right now! I still haven't heard back from my OB yet. I wonder how long it takes to find out? I might call them tomorrow if I don't hear anything before then.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

when i was tested it only took a couple minutes for them to give me my results. my dr took the sample into the next room and looked at it under a microscope. you may want to call cuz they should have the results by now unless they had to send it out, they may do it different where you go then they do at my drs.

Closed Thread