It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
GD testing

the dr just called and i failed my 1 hr glucose test, i mean why wouldnt i, its always one thing after another with me i cant ever just have things go ok. they said it was 172 and they do a 3 hr for everyone who is over 135. now i get to go on friday to do the 3 hr and i reallllly am not looking forward to it, i absolutely hate having blood taken it scares the hell outta me. has anyone had a result that high and passed the 3 hr test? im really nervous. does gd cause a lot of problems? i dont want something to go wrong with my baby, im tryin to do everything right but it just seems like all this bad stuff just keeps happening. any input would be a big help. im trying to keep myself from looking this up online cuz i know i will only scare myself if i do.

Last edited by sg1112; 07-09-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User
Re: GD testing

you should look it up so that you can be informed and ask all the questions that you want to ask...

to be diagnosed with GD your 3 hour will have to have at least 2 abnormal results...

the most common complication of GD is Macrosomia. This means the baby gets too big for you to deliver. A risk of macrosomia is shoulder dystocia. Because of the addtional fat on the baby, the shoulders (widest part) may not be able to pass through the birth canal. This is one reason why if you are diagnosed with GD, they want you to carefully monitor your blood sugars so that your baby does not get too big. Too much sugar in the blood stream means your baby will be putting on more weight than is necessary.

Secondly, they want you to watch your sugars because after the baby is born, they will be at risk for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Since in utero, the baby is used to being influxed with so much sugar, baby creates more insulin to process the sugar. Now, once baby is delivered, it's body will continue to do so, putting him/her at risk for low blood sugar.

Additionally, risks for mom are 1)increased chance of developing type 2 (late onset) diabetes, 2) GD may NOT go away and stick around resulting in GD turning into type 2 diabetes, 3)baby will have increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

I failed my one hour with a 168. Passed the 3hr with no problem. My body just doesn't get rid of the sugar as fast as it should in the one hour time but it drops to fast after that and that makes me hypoglycemic but I already knew I had this so it wasn't a suprise.
My DH just got back from the dr with his sugar he has the same problem failed the one hour but with in 2 hours his was back to normal and it leveled out and was fine at the 3 hr.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i really hope i dont have it. i did eat A LOT of sweets the day before my test, my grandma brought homemade cupcakes, i wasnt even thinking that maybe that would effect it at the time it only occured to me the next morning when i was going for my test. i dont spill sugar in my urine and i have taken my blood sugar at home and it is good when i take it here. i looked up the risk factors for GD and the only one i had was that people in my family have diabetes so the odds are in my favor but im still anxious to know for sure. i have a very small frame to begin with and my pelvis is tilted so if i have a large baby i dont think i would be able to have him vaginally and would more then likely need a csection which i would rather not have but of course would if it was better for the baby.

Closed Thread