It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Midwife and Doula...Difference?

I've read that a midwife can use oils to help massage and stretch you during delivery how often do they do this and do all midwives do it. My hospital offer services from doulas and midwifes whats the difference?.... Im not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Midwife and Doula...Difference?

Wow -- you're lucky that your hospital offers doulas. There are none in my area at all.

A doula is a woman trained to take care of YOU and only YOU during labor and delivery. She is not a medical professional, per se, but is a woman who has had her own child(ren). She supports you, is an advocate for you, and counsels you as appropriate. She will allow your poor husband a break to leave the room and get a bite to eat.

Your midwife if your medical professional who manages the labor and delivery process, much like a doctor would. She typically uses more holistic methods though, and may or may not be certified (a certified nurse midwife vs. a lay midwife). Her focus is as much on the baby as it is on you. A midwife may work in conjunction with a doctor in case things get to complicated.

I'm jealous that you are being offered the option of a doula.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

The previous poster provided a great explanation of the difference. I went to a midwife instead of a doctor for my ultrasounds and checkups and she was on call to deliver the my baby. She did use oil to stretch me with each push for two hours. She only does about one episotomy out of every 400 births. She makes up her own herbal mixture in a sachet to help heal and reduce the swelling down there and I would out it my underwear. I am not sure if all midwives do this or not. Prior to my midwife being a midwife she was a labor and delivery nurse.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 07-11-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Thank you guys so much for your responses and xinerevelle dont be jealous at all....this just means that my hospital billisgoing to be a little bigger then yours...lol I also know that you can bring in your own doula so search around in your area because they dont have to come from the hospital you will deliver at. Good luck to you all as well.

Closed Thread