It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

expectant HB User
anyone had a c-section followed by vaginal birth?

Hi

i had a c section with my first 2 yrs ago as he was breech and am tossing up whether to go natural this time around. i have been weighing up the pros and cons and have discussed with my doc who says c section and my midwife who says natural and now i just dont know what to do. I am really scared of having an emergency c section and would prefer to go either one way or the other.

my doc thinks i should go c section as there is high chance of breech again this time round (i am 28 weeks), i have an inverted cervix and a low lying placenta - the midwife says yes they are issues but many people have successful vaginal birthsa after a c section, this baby may not nec be breech and natural is better etc etc etc

anyway i am totally confused and would love to hear from anyonie who has done c first followed by natural and if you had any complications

thanks!!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: anyone had a c-section followed by vaginal birth?

Hi Laura,
While I have never had a C-Section myself, I did have a vaginal delivery last year. Although a vaginal delivery is no walk in the park, I can only imagine my recovery was somewhat easier than a Cesarian.
I think you need to do what YOU want to do and what is healthiest for your baby.
Have you thought about your recovery period after a C-Section a second time around? I would imagine that it could be quite a bit more stressful, especially caring for a two year old as well. Vaginal deliveries after Cesarians have definitely been done, so it's ultimately up to you and your baby's cooperation (ie. not being breech).
I think you just need to make sure you're getting monitored appropriately and taking extra steps to ensure that your baby is healthy.
Whatever way you decide to go, good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

I had a section with my first and I've been like you trying to figure out the best way to go this time. So I did talk to my dr and at the moment mine is breech so a section is the only way unless she turns.
But he did tell me that if she did turn I would mostlikely have a section anyway and this is his reason on why. My first one I had was because my body wouldn't work I only dilated to 3cm in almost 24hrs with really hard contractions the baby was fine and not in disstress on anything. So with all that being known he said if I would of had one due to the baby being stressed then yeah I could try vaginal this time but being it was me not working properly that the chances of vaginal was slim and I could risk my old scar on the uterus rupturing and having a section anyway. But my dr did say it was my decision on what I did if the baby isn't breech at that time that all he could do was tell me the pros and cons what my risks are and let me decide and we would go from there if I want to try labor and it don't work then we will go to c-section.
But like the previous lady said do what is best for YOU and what YOU want if the baby isn't breech and you want to try vaginal then that is what you do.But I think your like me waiting to see if our little ones is going to let us have a choice in this matter
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

I had a vag birth with my first and there were many complications that could have been prevented. My Dr at that time was awful, but did not find that out until we were in the thick of it. 2nd time around with a different Dr., we were going to try to do a vag. again, but the baby was lying transverse and the Dr. said that given the last very difficult birth, we should do a c-section to avoid any of those issues, especially when the baby was giving us a sign that something was off. Best choice ever. He had the cord around his neck 2x and would not have made it with a vag. delivery. So given your experience and the issues you just brought up to me, I would go with a c-section to totally bypass the what-if's from your description of what is going on now with your body. I am having my 3rd on Aug 1st via c-section and have no regrets. But it is your choice of course and I am sure you will find the right path for you.
N
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

As this question comes up every few months, you might do a search of this board for "VBAC" and read the posts that come up. Good luck to you (I'm skipping the VBAC and going for a second c-section in Feb 2009.)

Old 07-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lucii HB User

hi there!
I had a c section with my son, and a vbac with my daughter. My son was transverse, basicly he was laid accross my stomach head at one side, bum at the other! I was told there was no other way apart from c section and it had to be right that day, so was taken in staright away, only later to find out they had messed my dates up totally and he was very early, but anyways.... With my daughter i was adamant throughout i was having a vbac, and i did. and let me tell you the labour and recovery was soooo much easier and quicker than the c section! even though i tore very badly with my daughter when she was born, and it did hurt for a while after, it was still alot less painful than recovering after c section. i will be ttc again shortly, and i will be having the next child vbac, no way would i ever( unless life or death) have a c section again!
also dont forget, women have been giving birth for a very long time vaginaly, and also c section is classed as a major abdominal surgery!
good luck x

Last edited by lucii; 07-14-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarian) is quite possible and often goes well. However, any woman who's had a cesarian and attempts vaginal birth should do it in a hospital where a surgeon is available. A relaxing home birth with only a midwife in attendance is not for you.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

I'm glad you asked this question, because I recently found out I was pregnant for the second time. Last year, I had my daughter via c-section because she was breach, and it was the WORST experience. First of all, the spinal anesthesia they gave me only worked on one side of my body. Second, the pain medication afterwards didn't work on me. And worst of all, the incision was infected before I even left the hospital and I had an open wound because of this for 6 weeks while it healed--there is NO way to describe how horrible this was. So, when my OB asked me at my visit if I wanted to do a section or a VBAC, and I'm sooooo leaning towards a VBAC. She told me though of multiple risks, and so I'm trying to weigh my options. I see women have VBAC's all the time on the Discovery Health channel with no problems, but the risks are real. But they are also very real with c-sections, as I experienced many of the complications myself. I'm glad to know there are others out there considering the same things...good luck to everyone.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Closed Thread