It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

barbbates HB User
rapid heartbeat

hello all,i am new to this but if anyone can help i will be extremely grateful.
my daughter is 18wks pregnant and is suffering from hypertension,headaches and a rapid heartbeat,she had an ECG yesterday and the doctor said he doesn't think it's pregnancy related as she is only 18wks?he seems to think there is a problem with her heart but she has never had any symptoms before this?i am extremely worried and would appreciate any advice.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User
Re: rapid heartbeat

Hi I cannot really help you with your question, but maybe your daughter can try some relaxation yoga or something to that effect. She should also try and control her stress levels and much as possible, I know easier said than done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i dont have hypertension(so far) but ever since ive been pregnant i have had headaches that get worse when im laying down and usually go away when im up. it also feels like my heart is pounding and i can feel it in my head like if i stick something on my head it will shake it feels like im twitching. ive never had an ecg or an ekg or anything like that but when ive been to the dr he has said that my heart sounds good so it may just be something that some pregnant people get. im 30 wks now and the heart pounding seems to be getting worse as i get farther along. hopefully it will get better once the baby is born

Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

I too have a rapid heart beat. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and been experieincing this for a few months. It has gotten worse as I progress in my pregnancy. I feel very short of breath at times and have to sleep propped up on pillows to get rid of the "pounding" feeling in my heart. My OB is sending me to a cardiologist on Friday. I'm sure it's all normal but my OB wants to be on the safe side. She is also checking for low iron, low calcium, electrolyres, and thyroid through blood work. I'm a petite woman, only 105 pounds before pregnancy and now 130 pounds. My OB said if I have a heart mur mur or irregular heart beat the cardiologist can give me meds until the baby is born. I don't like the idea of taking meds but whatever I have to do to be healthy and have a healthy baby I will certainly do!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I had heart palpatations once when I was last pregnant -- about 30 weeks. I went to the ER because I was so freaked out. They eventually sent me to a cardiologist who did an ECG and said all was well. He said that it was "idiopathic" and blamed it on the pregnancy. It never happened again.

I do have a $40 wrist BP cuff for home use that also measures heart rate and tells me whether it's irregular. If your daughter doesn't have one, get one and use it every day.

Oh, and both my cardiologist and my grandma's said that if you get a racing heartbeat just hold your breath and bear down for 30-60 seconds and it will go away. My gram used to go to the ER all the time with this, but now just does the breath holding thing and is fine. Go figure! What a low-tech treatment!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I have tachycardia and have been on medication for it for going on four years. I had it before ever becoming pregnant, but can say that even while on the medication I have noticed several occassions where my heart races when I am pregnant. I have just chalked it up to hormones. I can be very distressing though, with or without being pregnant!

Closed Thread