It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User
Pain levels????

In April of last year i had a m/c and in the hospital i was having severe cramping and pains. The Tylenol they gave me didn't work at all. i was in a room for about 8 or 9 hours in this pain and i couldn't even sleep. Does anyone know if this pain would be like labor pain or worser?

Also have anyone ever heard of a woman falling to sleep during labor... My friend was trying to explain her birth experience to me and she said she went to sleep but i find that hard to believe.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Pain levels????

i have no idea about the first question but have heard that women who have epidurals are able to sleep cuz they are so wiped out from being in pain and when they take the pain away your just so exhausted you fall asleep. i hope if i have a long labor i can sleep for a little. i dont wanna be too tired to push him out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

when I was in labor with DS I didn't go to sleep but it wasn't as bad as I had thaught it was going to be and that's not because I had an epidural I didn't get that until like 30mins to 1hr before I went to the OR. I was induced at like 6am and didn't go to the OR til almost 1am the next morning. If it was so bad I wouldn't want to do it all over again this time when I have the option right off to have a C-section. I M/C also and the pain was different than labor pains to me.
My brother's GF had their baby in April and when I walked in I was shocked she was sound asleep she was induced too at 7am but they said her contractions wasn't very strong either. So I don't know I guess it is possible.
our angel 2/16/05
10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

The miscarriage pain you experienced is lexactly what the labor pains/contractions are like except it will get much worse if you can imagine that. If you get an epidural you won't feel them and those are the women falling asleep. I used no drugs by choice and I was very exhausted, but there is no way you can fal asleep until after it is all over with unless you are using drugs. I had to breathe, and move around get in and out of a birthing tub to deal with the contractions/pain.....no time for sleep.

For me, the contractions and labor were just like period cramps/pain, it just intensifies over time.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 07-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I have to disagree with saying anyone that takes drugs will fall asleep. I had an epidural and definitely DID NOT fall asleep. I think it really varies for every person. It also depends on how well the epidural works, when you get it etc. I went into labor at 2 a.m. and didn't go to the hospital until 11:30 a.m. When I got to the hospital I was 5 cm dialated. I didn't get my epidural until I was 7 cm dialated. While the epidural helped the pain for me, it definitely didn't completely rid me of it to the point that I could've fallen asleep. And on top of all of that, the epidural wore off about 45 minutes before I started to push so by the time the pushing part arrived, I could feel everything. So, again, to make my point, I think it really depends on everyone's own body and how it reacts to these medicines. Apparently it didn't work very well for me, but I still plan on getting one this time around.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

My water broke at midnight, I fell asleep around 4 am and woke up at 6 am having contractions. They did not get too intense until around 9 (when I got a pain me through IV) and I had my baby at 11:30. I think it is quite possible to sleep through the early parts of labor. I guess it depends on your pain tolerence.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

OK now i can see that maybe a few cat naps here and there can happen. Well i'll be praying for the next few weeks for all the aug/sept mommies. I really do wish you all well. Along with everyone else and congrats to whom ever has had there little ones recently.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
(female)

dixie2 HB User

I agree with Delia to a point. Everybody is different. I have two sons already and with the first I had no epidural just pain meds in my IV this was also 16 years ago when the injection had just came out and i was to scared I would move being that I do not like needles so did it w/o. I slept inbetween contractions NOT durning! I was in hard labor 12 hours both times. My second son I had the epidural after 8 hours labor and my mom always laughs when she tells the story I said after having the epidual " no wonder these young girls are having babies" I could not believe the difference like night and day. I will be getting the epidural this time also. O'yea I slept INBETWEEN contractions with both methods.I had no problem when it was time to push , you've been waiting for this moment a long time and you will wake up when this time comes.I hope this was helpful. I am sure we will have different stories this time too! Dixie

Closed Thread