It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Caeser Salad dressing and deli meats

Hi ladies,

Okay, I feel really bad.... I am 11 weeks pregnant today, and although this isn't my first pregnancy, for some reason I just found out that caeser dressing and deli meats aren't good for pregnant women, and I've been eating both of these so far this pregnancy (and on a fairly regular basis!). I feel terrible... I know I ate these both with my first pregnancy as well, and everything turned out okay, but now I'm totally paranoid that something will go wrong because I've consumed these things. I guess I'm just looking for anybody who knows any anything about this to shed some light!

Whiskers

Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User
Re: Caeser Salad dressing and deli meats

hi, Ive never heard of the ceasar dressing, but they tell you not to eat deli meats b/c of the possibility of listeria contamination. Listeria will make the mother feel slightly sick (like a you have a cold) but can cause miscarriage for the baby. My OB told me that if you microwave the lunch meat until it's steaming that you can eat it, however listeria being found in lunch meat is extremely rare, so don't stress too much about what you've already eaten.

The bacteria can also be found on fruits and vegetables, so be sure to always wash them thoroughly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sweetest_Pink00 HB User

Whiskers i have been eating ceaser dressing also deli meat amost the whole time of me being pregnant have had no problems thus far. Im now32 weeks. I did hear this about deli meat but ive also heard it was just an old wives tale.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
(female)

madera74 HB User

Some doctors will advise to heat the deli meat until it's steaming to destroy any possible listeria bacteria. The info from my doctor didn't mention deli meat at all, so I asked my OB about it. She said that it's ok to eat but if I had some meat in the fridge that I thought might be getting old, to just toss it and not risk it - but if you go to a sub shop or something, it is probably going to be just fine. It's just that pregnant women are more susceptible to listeriosis, but it is still pretty rare. I have been eating deli meat but mostly just the occasional sub for lunch. I had not heard that about caesar salad dressing - but I had heard (again not from my doctor, just from other women) to avoid soft serve ice cream since the machines often aren't clean, but that is some advice I have chosen to ignore .

Old 07-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I really would not worry about it. Just stay away from these things in the future. If you want to think about it, there are other things that we all eat or use everyday that are much worse. Look at the chemicals on the back of your shampoo/conditioner and lotions, etc. These products do not have to be regulated so pretty much anything can be added with them. On top of that our body soaks in those products and those chemicals go into your body. The same with food, unless it is organic, we are ingesting all kinds of preservatives, dyes, chemicals. If you have silver/mercury fillings, there is a small amount of mercury that is released everyday from them and goes into your body. So, my point is, you can worry about everything if you want to. If is highly unlikely that you will hurt your baby from eating some dressing or lunch meat a time or two.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Caesar dressing is often make with anchovies or something from the anchovie fish in most cases.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 07-19-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for the replies! I feel SO much better. I did some research, and apparently the caeser dressing is a no-no because of the raw egg in it, which can harbor some bacteria I believe (I can't recall the name of it). It's also the same reason that you're not supposed to eat cookie dough. Although, I then thought, that mayonaise has raw egg in it as well, but it wasn't mentioned on the list... I agree that sometimes we should just forget the rules (in moderation, of course), otherwise we'd be on a ridicolous diet for the duration of our pregnancies.
I also heard about the soft serve ice cream, and I actually wrote a post about it, probably about a month ago (paranoid, huh??). I chose not to eat any out of fear of hurting the baby, but I recently had banana split from Dairy Queen, and it was the most delicious thing I've eaten in weeks! I think as long as I'm not having these things every day, I'll be fine.
And thanks for the tip about microwaving the meat--I actually have some left over that I bought yesterday at Safeway, so instead of it going to waste, I'll just microwave and let it cool before eating it (I assume it's ok to let it cool again?). Thanks girls!

Whiskers

Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

teach79 HB User

Whiskers-My OB did warn me about the lunch meat. However, it is worse for you doing your first trimester. You are almost finished with that part, so I wouldn't worry. I have also talked to a meat inspector and he said that places like Subway are very safe because they can't afford to have someone suing them for hurting them or their baby. I tried to avoid it during the first trimester, but I have eaten it since. I'm sure you and your baby are just fine!! Just keep your meat cold and if you are worried then heat it up!!!

Teach

Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i have a friend who im not really sure what he does but it has somethin to do with making sure food is safe but he said the caesar sold in stores does not have raw egg that its illegal to sell it with raw egg in it.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Anything that's pasteurized (heated to a high heat) is fine -- including most cheeses, salad dressings, and mayo that's sold in your grocery store or that's used in run-of-the-mill restaurants. Of course, if you were going to a fancy restaurant where they have tableside service (which usually includes making the dressing right there), I would ask about the ingredients before consuming. When we went on a cruise I hunted down the chef and asked questions because the server didn't know for sure that all the cheese used in the entrees was pasteurized (it was).

Soft serve ice cream can also harbor listeria like lunch meat, except that heating it to steaming would just ruin it. LOL. I try to stay away from that, too.

I figure this is the least I can do while I'm pregnant -- I can eat whatever I want for the entire remainder of my life (much to my hips' dismay!), so this doesn't seem like that much of a sacrifice. <shrug>

Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

With my first one they said nothing about deli meats. With this one it clearly states no cold cuts. Just stop eating them now. The only way these will hurt your baby is if you get listeria poisoning, and you will know it if you have it!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Hey Whiskers -

Just a tip for you if you really crave a cold cut sub if you order one from a sub shop - I ate a lot of Italian subs during my pregnancy and I would ask them to toast it for me in the oven so it was ok to eat.

Eat up!

Closed Thread