It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
(male)

choclate HB User
Panadol/Panadol Extra??

I know that Panadol is totally safe to be taken during pregnancy but I mistakenly gave Panadol Extra to my wife. Panadol Extra means Panadol plus Caffein.

I am really scared of making the mistake of giving the wrong medicine. She had FEVER. I think it is safe but I just want to be re-assured.

More so, my wife's temperature since the start of pregnancy is not going below 99. Is is really dangerous that it stays at about 99 for a lot of weeks. I know that it is not really very high but still it is higher than 98.6.

Please advice.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User
Re: Panadol/Panadol Extra??

A one-off dose of caffeine in a tablet is not going to harm your wife or baby. Yes, it is preferable, where possible, to steer clear of caffeine as much as possible...but let's be honest - many pregnant women drink a lot of coffee throughout their entire pregnancy.

Once a woman is pregnant her body temperature naturally rises to higher than her normal. If, however, you are concerned it is a temperature rise caused by an infection then I would advise seeking medical attention to check it out.

Try not to worry unduly about every little thing. I know it is easier said than done, and my hubby has been very worried all the way through my pregnancy, but rest assured that babies were being born for thousands of years before all the advice guidelines were issues. Try and let that reassure you a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Panadol/Panadol Extra??

Don't freak out about a little bit of caffeine one time. It's not like you accidentally gave her oxycontin or something dangerous. She'll be fine.

As for her temp -- why is she constantly taking her temp? Does she not feel well? If so, then THAT's a concern. But everyone's baseline temp is different. 98.6 is just an average normal. For me, my temp is normally about 98.0 when I'm not pregnant. All the hormones make it stay higher during pregnancy. I don't know what mine is now, because I don't really care enough to get up and go test it -- lol!

As the other poster said, there are lots of new experiences with pregnancy, including odd aches and pains, extra gas and bloating, sleeplessness and sleepiness, and more! Try to remember that throughout this special time. If something REALLY has you concerned, then definitely called the doctor -- they expect it and aren't bothered by phone calls at all.

Good luck!

Closed Thread