scared. my second pregnancy. i'm 33. have a lovely 3yr old girl. just went for routine neuchal translucency (sp?) test and found out we have a 1 in 37 chance of having a Downs baby. Going for a CVS in 2 days. Scared to raise a Downs baby, scared to terminate, scared if the baby goes away via miscarriage. miss the happiness of being pregnant i had a few hours ago.
First off, try to take a deep breath and relax. Remember that even if your baby does have Down's or some other condition, these tests can't tell you the severity of it. At least you will know in advance, assuming you don't terminate, so you can read up on the condition and even connect with other parents who experienced the same feelings and issues.
We had friends who didn't do any testing (early 30s) and ended up with a child with Downs. Alexander has had his challenges, but he is a bright, happy little boy who is the light of his parents' lives. They were freaked out at first, especially in the delivery room, but have adjusted quite well. They too weren't sure they could handle it, but they rose to the challenge.
I'm currently waiting to see if my DH is a cystic fibrosis carrier or not. If he is, there is a 25% chance the baby could have CF. I wasn't tested in the first pregnancy (DD does not have CF), so now I'm like you, a little (just slightly) scared that something may be wrong. But I keep telling myself that I will still have to wait until 16 weeks for the amnio (which we are already planning to do -- I'm 36). I'm only 8 weeks now.
Good luck to you. And don't be a stranger -- this is a wonderful community of women (and occasionally a man or two) who help each other out. Welcome!
1 in 37 isnt high at all. Imagine putting 36 blue chips in a bucket and one red chip...what are the chances that you would actually pull out the red chip? Not very high...
Also, think about the fact that on average 1 in 89 babies are twins (much higher if you have fertility treatments)...
Try not to worry about it!
My first trimester screen which is a combination of Nuchal Translucency scan, Blood test plus age factor showed risk of 1 in 4 chances for Downs, making me 35% chances of having a baby with DS.
I was so depressed for 2 weeks not because I will terminate but because I wanted my baby to be healthy and normal physically and mentally. I opted for amnio since it is much safer than CVS. My result came back, my baby has no chromosomal problems and is perfectly healthy.
They asked me again to do the 2nd trimester screen which is a Level 2 ultrasound to check for physical defects and my baby is still healthy.
So dont alarm yourself just yet. The 1st trtimester screen is not a diagnostic test. They said it is 95% accurate but I guess I belonged to the 5% that it isnt accurate. I cant blame you for being sad. I pray that your baby is healthy and perfectly normal.
Wait for your results to come and do not submerge yourself into thinking that your baby has DS. Unless the results are positive, your screening risk doest make your baby a DS. Dont let anyone talk to you on how to take care of a DS baby because thats not what you want to hear at this time while going through your CVS and waiting for your results. Telling you to go to DS website wont help how you feel right now, it will even make you really sad. I know, I've been there...What you need is prayers and support that your baby is perfectly fine.
And when the result is here which I pray that is normal, you can go from there.
Goodluck! Stay on bed after your CVS, eat your cake and watch funny TV/movie shows. My prayers for you.
Wow. This is my first time posting to any message board in my entire life. It feels so caring and loved to have direct responses to my personal post (I know that's the whole idea, but it's still neat). Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and consider my feelings and especially those tho wrote back. Today was the CVS procedure. My bladder was very full and my cervix was tough to find, but they did it. Our doctor has a 1 in 300 chance for her procedures ending in miscarriage, which is nice. Before the procedure we saw the baby on the ultrasound and I felt very loving and connected. While I'm hopeful I'll get to meet this little one, given all of our blood work and the neuchal translucency measurement of 4.2, we have a 20% chance that something is abnormal with the little one. We will most likely terminate if the genetic testing reveals a problem. I hope that isn't improper to post.
Hi Tikva -- Thanks for replying back and letting us know what's going on. As my doctor explained it, the nuchal fold test isn't 100%, so if it shows an elevated risk you would then go for an amnio, which IS 100%. So, if your doctor hasn't told you that, definitely ask about it.
I'm praying that all is well and that you DO get to meet your little one, though.
And no, it isn't wrong to post what you might want to do if circumstances dictate it.