It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

ab2007 HB User
Elective c section

At 38 weeks, we had an U/S and the baby's weight was estimated to be 8 lbs. My Ob did't seem concerned and wants to wait till I go into labor.I'm concerned the baby may gain 2 or more lbs if we wait for another 2 weeks and it may cause some complications if we attempt a vaginal birth. Does the dr perform elective c-section? We thought about this only after coming home from the appointment. Should I ask my Ob about it or just wait?
Anyone had vaginal births with such large babies?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: Elective c section

every dr is different you would have to talk to him about how he feels about doing that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

After having a c-section and getting a MRSA infection in the incision and spending 10 more days in the hospital, I have to say, go with a vaginal birth if you can. There are lots of risks with abdominal surgery, plus your recovery time is longer.

Who knows, the baby may decide to come tomorrow!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

I also have to agree with the previous poster. I also got an infected c-section incision before I even left the hospital, and I had to be re-hospitalized too. Then I had an open wound for 6 weeks while this healed. Let me tell you, it was really horrible. The pain and recovery of c-section is hard enough, but if you develop one of the many possible complications, it's even worse, possibly life-threatening. I had many problems due to all this, breastfeeding was almost nil (I wasn't able to continue), the baby had feeding problems, etc.

However, I also understand your concern about a big baby. I have a friend who had a 10 lb, 11 oz baby and she delivered vaginally. The OB had to break the baby's collar bone on one side to deliver him, because his shoulder got stuck (shoulder dystocia). If the doc wouldn't have done that the baby could have died. But the baby healed with no problems, and my friend said unless she touched him in just the wrong spot, you wouldn't have known there was any problem with his delivery. This is pretty rare I think, and I know others who have had big babies with no problem, but it's not like big babies aren't without risk either. I think you should talk with your OB about all the risks of each and find out what he/she recommends.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
(female)

daina HB User

I gave birth to my daughter vaginally and she was 9lb 7 oz at 38w6d. The birth itself went very smoothly and was relatively fast. I did have a tear, but not too bad and the recovery was fine... The doc had no idea that she was that big, as I only gained 3kgs during the entire pregnancy, measured consistently 1-3 weeks behind schedule, and am 5 ft tall.... I don't know if they would have wanted me to get a c-section had they known she would be that big...

This time around, the baby is likely to be large again, as at 19w was already 1 week ahead in terms of weight. I really don't want a c-section unless absolutely necessary, but I am afraid I will end up having one. Where I live now, they are not used to handle large births and rather than risk complications (like from shoulder dystocia), I would get a c-section...

Good luck to you, and I am sure all will turn out fine.

Closed Thread