It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User
GD screening

I have my glucose test at my next appointment. I am unclear about a few things though. My dr did not tell me I have to do anything special for it, but I just read that people are supposed to get extra carbs and not eat or drink before the test. Also, my lab for blood work is not at my drs office, so how will that work once I drink the glusoce? I guess I'm just unsure of the whole process. Also, do people usually have signs that they have GD or can it come up without notice?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User
Re: GD screening

i was just diagnosed with GD about 2-3 wks ago. for the initial one hour glucose test you dont have to do anything to prepare. they will just have you drink the glucola then you sit around for an hour til they take your blood. you will have plenty of time to get from the drs to wherever the lab is. once you drink the glucola though you cant have anything but water til your blood is taken. if your test is below 140 then you pass that test if not then you will have to go do the three hour test. thats the one that you have to fast for. you go in and they take your blood as soon as you get there and that is your fasting number. then you drink the glucola again but more of it and your blood is taken every hour for 3 hrs so its a total of 4 pokes. if you fail the 1 hr though dont automatically assume you have GD. 80% of people who fail the 1 hr go on to pass the 3 hr. i just happen to be one of the 20% who did not pass. if you do end up having GD you will be sent to a dietician and possibly an endocrinologist. they will try to regulate it with a meal plan and have you take your blood sugar about 4 times a day. if that doesnt help then you will be put on insulin.

most people dont have signs but the possible signs of GD are:
increased thirst/hunger
frequent urination
dizziness
fatigue
nausea and vomiting
seeing floaters

but its hard to tell cuz those can also just be normal pregnancy symptoms. i have all of these except i havent vomited, which now since i said that im probably gonna go throw up.
good luck i hope everything works out for you. GD is no fun, you cant eat any of the things pregnant people crave!

Last edited by sg1112; 07-29-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
(female)

sousou HB User

I had to fast for the 1h test( starting midnight ) ,I even called my dr office to ask if I can have water and they said no just rinsing your mouth is okay...maybe this is why you had your sugar high doublecheck with your Dr.office to make sure..best of luck for both of you!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i definately have GD i failed the 3 hr oral tolerance test and my blood sugars are all out of whack when i check them after meals. i can tell when my sugars get high or low because i get real hot and dizzy and my head feels like its pulsing. water wont effect your test results. they probably didnt want you to drink cuz when they test your urine for ketones if you had to much water it could dilute your urine and miss something but it wont make your blood sugar go up. drinking lots of water helps keep it regulated.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
(female)

Junebug08 HB User

I go for my 1 hour test next week also. My doctor's office told me that I could have a light breakfast (cereal or toast) just nothing sweet the morning of the test. I am supposed to go to the lab to do my drink and then go upstairs to the doctor's office and they will do my normal 2 week checkup while I'm waiting to have my blood work done. This seems better than having to just sit in the lab for an hour. Good luck with your screening!
#2 EDD: 9/23/2010

Old 07-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User

Those GD side effects are the same as my hypothyroid. I guess the only way to know for sure is to have the test done. I am going to call my drs office tomorrow and ask them for special instructions.

Closed Thread