It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User
Twins Update

Just thought I'd update everyone on my babies. Carter is doing great and actually breastfed today for a few minutes. I've been trying since he came home and he never knew what to do, but today he did it like a pro! He wants to eat every 3 hours or so. He still doesn't want to be put down very much, and loves sleeping with us.

Izzy is doing just wonderfully and she looks amazing. They took out her chest tubes today since her drainage has stopped and she is starting feedings! A speech therapist will come to see her twice a day for a couple days to get her to relearn to eat - one of her vocal chords was damaged during the surgery (which is very common), so she has a little trouble swallowing. But hopefully she catches on quickly and can come home soon. I'm so excited because having that chest tube drainage was apparently life-threatening, but now it has stopped! I can't wait to have both babies together at home for the first time! I'll let you all know when she comes home.

Cristy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

Tiffany13 HB User
Re: Twins Update

Congratulations! It sounds like things are falling into place for you and your family that is all wonderful news!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

Cristy, Oh I am so glad to hear both of your little ones are doing so well! I think of you and your recently expanded family often. Hope Izzy continues to get better and better!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

Cristy I am so happy to hear that Izzy is doing so well and that the chest tube has been removed, you and DH must be so relieved. I am sure she wil be coming home soon to join her brothers.

I am pleased to hear that Carter is also doing well and had started feeding from the breast what an angel.

I hope that your whole family is together very soon and by the way things are going I am sure it won't be too much longer.

I hope you have a wondeful day.

Love
Char

Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Cristy, what great news!! It sounds like things are falling into place & what a relief! I'm sure that having Izzy in the hospital for so long is extremely stressful & I can't wait for the day when you tell us she is home w/ her brothers! I'm sure it will be soon.

Holly

Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

Hi Christy,

So good to hear from you. Again, such an inspiration!
I am having my c-section on Friday the 1st. I can't wait. It is hard to imagine that your babies have been out in the world for so long already.
How are you feeling? Hope you are healing well also.

Take care,
N
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

Thank you for asking how I'm doing. I barely have any time to think about myself these days, but I am feeling just great! You'd never know that I gave birth to twins 4 weeks ago! I've lost 33 pounds and hope to lose some more (I only gained 10 when pregnant). I was so happy to be off of bedrest that I probably overdid it at first, but everything is feeling good now.

We found out today that Izzy's left vocal chord was paralyzed during surgery, but it could fix itself in the next couple months, or she could use the right one more to compensate, so we just have to wait and see what happens.

Cristy

Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

Cristy that is wonderful that you have already lost 33 pounds, Well done. I am sure the rest of the pounds will follow. I am glad that you are also doing well.

I am sorry to hear that Izzy's vocal chord was damaged but I am sure it will come right on its own soon.

Thanks for the update and please keep then coming.

Love
Charlene

Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

Well, I just talked to Izzy's nurse today and her feedings are not going well at all. She is throwing up a lot, so they had to stop the feedings for awhile. She is going to have an upper GI study done today to see what's going on. The problem is that they are giving her this special formula that tastes nasty and has no sweetness at all, so she doesn't want to take it by bottle, and I think it's upsetting her stomach, or maybe she just has to get used to eating since she hasn't had anything in her stomach for over 3 weeks. They can't give her breastmilk right now because it's not broken down as much as the formula, which makes it a little harder to digest. They also are putting her back on the high-flow oxygen because she was having a little bit of a hard time breathing today. I am so frustrated right now! She was starting to do so good, but now I feel like we're going backwards. Some days I feel like she will never get to come home to us.

Cristy

Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

Oh Cristy I am so sorry that things are not going so well with Izzy, I can understand that you must feel frustrated but try and stay postive she will come home as soon as she it better. I do not know what you are going through right now but please know that I am praying for you and your family especially Izzy. You are also constantly in my thoughts. I hope you get some good news soon.

Love
Char

Old 07-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
(female)

Tiffany13 HB User

I'm sorry to hear that Izzy is having a hard time today but I bet your theory is right. Who wants to eat something that doesn't taste good. It is probably just going to take some time for her to learn what her body is supposed to do since she had machines and such doing everything for her. You're all in my thoughts and prayers...just stay positive everything will work out.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aurora HB User

Hey Cristy - Still thinking of you and the babies. I am sure that you are correct and poor Izzy is just finding it hard to adjust. Breastmilk may not be so easily digestible...but I bet she would appreciate the taste more than the formula. I hope she can start having some of that soon.

Big hugs, keep your chin up - she will be home soon I am sure.
Helen
xx

PS - I know you never made it as far as August, but it is our month now, we want to catch up with you and have our babies now too!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

I have some good news about Izzy...She got moved up to intermediate care, which is a step closer to going home. But the bad news is that she was throwing up all of her feedings overnight (she had been keeping the formula down for a couple days), so they stopped them for awhile and put a new NG tube in today and started the feedings again at a smaller amount. I'm frustrated that she can't keep anything down, but so happy that she got moved up from critical care! At least her GI study came back fine, so she doesn't have any other problems, but they're still trying to figure out why she keeps throwing up. I think the doctors are baffled, so they just keep trying different things hoping she'll finally stop throwing up.

On another note, I've been able to hold Izzy a few times now, which is so good for her (and me too)! I've also been putting Carter in bed next to her too since I've heard that it helps with the healing to have the twins together. I'll keep you updated.

Cristy

Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

Oh Cristy, so happy little Izzy is improving. I hope she can soon start keeping her feedings down. I look forward to your update telling us that she has gotten the okay to come home and join her family. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

Cristy I am happy to hear that Izzy has been moved out of critical care. I am sorry tho that that she cannot keep anything down. I am sure she willl be fine soon. As for gettting to hold her that is fantasic, I am sure she will make a speedy recovery now. Putting Carter in her bed is also great as they did share the space in your tummy for so long.

I am thiknign of you and your family.
Love
Char

Closed Thread