It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Spinal??

My friend was reading the book "what to expect when expecting". She read that after a spinal that you have to lay flat for 8 hours. She is scheduled for a c-section on Dec. 1st. The dr. said that they would do a spinal instead of an epidural. I've only had epidurals with my 3 vaginal deliveries, so i can't help her. We were just wondering if that is still the case, since this book was written some time ago.
Also, any other information about spinals and your experinences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brandi

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

RFF HB User
Re: Spinal??

With a spinal they enter the space around the spinal column. If spinal fluid leaks out you can get a spinal headache, really bad. Laying down helps to seal the hole and prevent this complications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

stonebonner HB User

I had 3 spinals and I don't ever remember laying flat for 8 hours. Actually they had to raise me up a little afterwards because I was nauseous. After leaving the recovery room a couple hours later I was not reclined at all in the bed because I was holding the baby and breastfeeding.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

nerdo HB User

I had a spinal two weeks ago and they had me moving in the recovery room. Not walking, of course, but they encouraged me to move my legs and feet, which I could do on my own.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

Hi,
Funny you brought that up because I just read that same section in the same book last night even though I have had a c-section already.
Yes it is true. It is only because the surgery itself is major. From the point in the back down must be totally absent from sensation because it involves every layer into your body. Like with an epidural, you can still feel pressure and some sensation of contractions, you could not tolerate that with the invasiveness of a c-section. Therefore the medication administered is much stronger and lasts much longer.
It wears off from your toes up and so you have to make sure your body is up for movement. I would also say that because of the nature of the surgery, they want to make sure that all of the layers have adhered to where they are supposed to and stopped bleeding. Trust me, you do not want to move around that soon after. Sleep is GOOOOOODDDDDDDD.
I will be having another c-section on Friday, I plan on taking advantage of the sleep factor as much as possible.
Hope that helps.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

As someone who had a spinal headache due to a test I had done on my spine before I had spinal surgery (low back), I can definitely say you don't want it! The only positive part of the headache is that there is a relatively quick fix for it (a blood patch -- they draw some blood from your arm and inject it into the space where the puncture is, and the blood helps form a clot over the hole and seals it up, so the fluid stops leaking and your brain stops resting on the nerve endings because there's not enough fluid). Within 15 minutes of the blood patch the headache disappears. When I had the procedure (a myleogram) I had to stay in the hospital overnight to make sure I stayed flat... but apparently that didn't help. who knows...

Anytime the dura matter in the spinal column is punctured (which is what happens with a spinal) there is a risk of a spinal headache. Now, my anesthesiologist didn't mention it, but I knew to not rush it too much after my c-section for just that reason. I would ask the anesthesiologist directly when in the OR.

Closed Thread