It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

crossingXline HB User
Sciatica nerve pain

I've had sciatica pain since about 2months pregnant but its now getting worse every day. Finally my doctor suggested I see a chiropractor. I went today and he of course says I have a pinched nerve in the sciatic nerve area and is seeing me on several occasions to try to pop my right hip back into place where the problem started. My low back is killing me. Has anyone had this problem and actually got help from a chiropractor? I don't want to waste my time if this is something that may not go away but I thought at least is worth a try considering its effecting sleeping/walking ect. Any input would be great!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Sciatica nerve pain

Hi there,
With my first pregnancy, I was experiencing extreme lower back pain, but off and on (I felt it almost every day, but some days I could barely walk, and others it was just "there", but was very bearable) and like you, it started very early in pregnancy. My ob thought it was sciatica nerve pain as well, and she said a massage therapist may help, but that it would probably still be off and on through the pregnancy. I never did see the massage therapist, but the pain did subside quite a bit somewhere in the second trimester. And it came back more often again in the third, but I think it was probably not until month 8 or 9.
Sorry I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to let you know that with me, it did seem to get quite a bit better after the first trimester, until almost the end!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User

Hi there,

I am a new mommie-to-be (8 weeks today) and for the last 3 days have been having a pain in the very low part of the back (the inflexible part) -- pain only in a spot and when I walk. If I am still it is fine. I'd heard of Sciatic Nerve pain during pregnancy but thought it only happened in the latter months. Reading your notes made me feel "OMG this sounds exactly like me".

Whiskers - I am glad to know you felt better in your second trimester. So other than the massage did you try anything else? or just live with it? Will it harm the baby?

Crossing - I do hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for sharing!!
-H

Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I am 34 weeks and have this. I've ALWAYS had it though as I've had multiple back surgeries and my spine is fused at about 13 levels. My SI joints trap my sciatic nerve and this could very well be your issue too. My SI joints slide in and out frequently. The chiro might help you but it could be a waste of money too because if it is your SI joints, you could leave there and then they could slide right back out and trap it again. It's kinda complicated. It all depends on whether or not this is the case or not. If it's bearable....I would give it a little time to see whether or not it goes back in by itself or not. Sometimes mine are "out" for 1-2 weeks at a time....ahhhhhhhh....it's such a relief when it goes back in but I'm so used to it.

Good luck to you!!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fruitloop1024 HB User

Mine has been really bad. I have it off and on, but when I have it, it is usually bad enough that I cant walk. The ultrasound tech told me that a pregnancy belt would help. When I wear it, I hardly ever get the pain. I have felt so much better since I started wearing it. I did try seeing a chiro for the pain, but she made it worse. There are certain things that I do that make it hurt, even when the belt is on, so I try not to do them.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I didn't try anything else for the pain, just lived with it. I found it really helped to alternate between sitting and standing. I was working in retail, and we weren't allowed to sit when we were on the sales floor, but since I was working 8 hour shifts, I would just drag a bench behind the counter and sit for about 15 minutes at a time. Other than that, unfortunately I think it's just something you have to wait out...

Whiskers

Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
(female)

crossingXline HB User

thanks so much for all of the replies. A lot of the situations sounds about like mine. My pain was def there but bearable until about 3 days ago when I could no longer sit/lay/stand without constant aching pain and electric shooting down my back and legs. Theres no way to lay comfortably which is was my doctor told me I should be doing until he sees me again tomorrow. It takes hours and plenty of icy hot and tylenol before I can even fall asleep. I think the problem may be rooted a bit deeper than what we thought.

Closed Thread