HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Back Pain while lying down (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/623278-back-pain-while-lying-down.html)

Kari15 08-03-2008 06:33 PM

Back Pain while lying down

As for the back pain well I have to ask... has lying in bed ever bothered you before? I am struggling with soreness in my back recently and it too is completely related to lying down. Unfortunately it starts within an hour of laying down for me (which is a very scary thought considering I'll likely be on bedrest fairly soon). As long as I fall asleep I'm ok but if I have trouble falling asleep its proven to be big trouble. Friday night I tried sleeping on the floor, the couch, and then finally fell asleep in a spare room at about 2:30am (in complete tears btw). But I've always been a little bit sensitive to lying down in general so I'm guessing I'm just hyper-sensitive now that I'm preggers. Will you please let me know if you find something that helps you? I sure hope the situation quickly gets better for you.

Mod08 08-04-2008 10:37 AM

Re: Back Pain while lying down

Your post has been moved into a new thread of its own. Do not post about your pregnancy in other birth month threads.

You have two options when posting:

1. Your birth month thread
2. Starting a new thread about specific questions

Thank you for your cooperation.
Mod 08

Kari15 08-04-2008 11:16 AM

If anyone does have any input on the backpain, I'd love to hear suggestions for it. Tylenol hasn't seemed to help me in this area so I'm also wondering if there is any OTC meds anyone has gotten doctor approval on taking.

Namibia 08-04-2008 11:39 AM

Kari I am sorry you have back pain. Try lying down with an extra pillow under your head as well as one between your legs and it that doe not help put a pillow behind your back for extra support. I know the pillow between my legs really helps me and now I cannot sleep without it. As for OTC meds I am not sure about any, best to ask your DR.

I hope you feel better soon.

Love
CHar

sg1112 08-04-2008 12:16 PM

ive been having this a lot lately. lay with your back towards the wall and put a small hard object like a tennis ball in the place where it hurts the most. i slept with a water bottle in my back yesterday cuz the pain was just too bad and it did seem to help a little by putting the pressure on it.

TryN2BMommy 08-04-2008 12:17 PM

Hi Kari,

I too am sorry to hear about the back pain. I'm sure you want to find a solution asap considering it will probably get worse carrying triplets.

Do you have back pain even when lying on your side? They say it's safe to lie on your back up to the 4 month mark, but I noticed slight back pain lying on my back long before then. It just wasn't comfortable for me. I lie on my side all the time now & haven't had any problems. That probably won't help if you are already lying on your side, but I just thought I would mention it. It made a big difference for me.

Hope you find a solution soon!

Holly

Kari15 08-04-2008 02:50 PM

Hi Ladies, thank you all so much for your replies. Holly I have always been a side sleeper but with such quick massive weight gain I feel like I crush my shoulder now when I lay on my side! But I do for the most part try to not lie flat on my back. Char, I've gone with extra pillows but I really need to try the body pillow between my legs. And Sg1112 I will absolutely try your recommendation. Its a trick like that which could very well do it for me. Plus I've got lots of tennis balls around the house that I use to play with my dog ;) I do hope your back feels better too!

xinerevelle 08-04-2008 03:24 PM

I've had low back surgery, so I completely understand your issues. I sleep with four pillows total -- one standard size by my head, two king size pillows in a V-shape coming out from the pillow by my head, and then one standard size pillow between my legs. I then can sleep on either side without having to flip the pillow from side to side with me.

When I was doing PT for my back, I was given a few suggestions:
1. Get a pair of pantyhose and a regular size bath towel. Roll up the towel the long way. Put it in one leg of the pantyhose. Tie the hose/towel around your waist. This is to help you have some support when you sleep on your side -- under your waist. When pregnant, you can tie it under your belly, but still around your natural waist up on your hips in back.
2. Never sleep flat on your back without bending your knees somehow. It puts too much stress and pressure on your back. If lying on your side, curl your knees up towards your chest some, for the same reasons.
3.If you are having severe, crushing pain on one side of your spine, at about hip level, it may be your SI joint. You would need a chiropractor or a physical therapist to help you put it back into place (it's a small little bone that can easily get out of whack and cause lots of pain).
4. If all else fails, ask about a referral to an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon -- then ask that doctor for a TENS unit. It has small electrodes that you attach near the painful area for about 30 minutes. It fools the nerves into forgetting about your true pain because they are getting agitated by the little bit of electricity nearby. It doesn't hurt, but does feel odd. I usually got 5+ hours of relief out of this. The electricity is only at the skin/subdermal level on your back, so it doesn't bother baby.

Finally, when I was 34 weeks I couldn't take it anymore, so I begged my OB to let me get a steroid injection (using fluoroscope (xray) to place the needle in the epidural space) to help with the pain. I couldn't even get on the exam table at his office. Since I was far enough along he agreed, so I went to a pain mgmt doctor who did it for me. I'd previously had it done, so I knew it would provide some temporary relief.

In general, if you're having problems, I'd go to a chiropractor a few times to get some help. I'm not a big chiro fan (I think some are quacks, especially those that treat things besides muscle/skeleton issues), but I did get some relief when I went before.

Good luck!

Kari15 08-04-2008 10:51 PM

Hi Xin, thank you so much for all the fantastic suggestions, I really really appreciate such great pointers. I'm truly amazed by how many others have struggled with back pain and from the sound of it, some far worse than me. I know I can deal with this because I'm just so thrilled to have babies on the way, but I will absolutely try to alleviate the discomfort in the meantime. Many thanks again. I'll def be in touch, updating on how things go.

JustDance 08-05-2008 02:17 PM

Hi Kari,

It looks like there have been a lot of great suggestions already, but wanted to add in my own 2 cents.

My first advice is to see if you need a new bed. I'm so thrilled that we happened to buy a new expensive & supportive bed just a couple months before our BFP. At the time, I was just a little disappointed because it seemed a smidgen too firm for my tastes, but Boy oh Boy, our mattress has been my salvation this pg! So much so that I've had the opposite reaction - many days my back is killing me by the end of the day and when I lay down it's like instant relief. I know it's not just the act of lying down because I recently went on a business trip and stayed at the Luxor hotel in Vegas and I couldn't hardly get any sleep because the bed was so awful that I would lay down and be in PAIN almost to tears. I tried everything on that hotel bed but absolutely could not relieve the back pain.

You may want to go matress shopping or at least testing to see if lying on one of those firm, supportive (and unfortunately expensive) mattresses helps you.

Other recommendation: I have a firm king size pillow that I put along my backside while sleeping on my side, and sometimes I will roll onto it so that I'm halfway sleeping on my back & halfway on my side. That tends to help when the weight gets too much for my shoulder, but also too much for just being on my back.

How much weight have you gained already? Are you eating a lot more? It must be fun to eat soooo much!!!