It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

joergsgirl HB User
Anxiety Disorder & Pregnancy

OK I am just going to say it. I was coy with my previous posts regarding taking meds during my pregnancy. Everyone says to take the doctor's advice but when the MDs tell me that it's not their expertise or have no clue about the drug categories then I start to wonder. My anxiety attacks are paralyzing and no amount of "counseling" will undo that. Yes, it does help but PD is a biological disorder that can not be talked away in weekly sessions. I am at 38 weeks now and have used .5 mg of Xanax about 3-4 times per week throughout my pregnancy. I have not found one single post anywhere about anyone doing something similar. Surely someone has. Physically I have had a perfect pregnancy despite my advanced age (39), previous miscarriages, HPV, 11cm cyst removal on right ovary and removal of tube. Emotionally is a different story. I don't know what to expect in 2 weeks and don't mean to sound so angry but I am very frustrated with the lack of help and info on this topic. So please, if anyone can reassure me just a little I would be most grateful. Thank you for the support.

Last edited by Mod08; 08-04-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Re: Anxiety Disorder

Hi. I hate to see your post go unanswered so I thought I'd at least try to reply. While I don't have experience with PD personally my husband has suffered with it severly since he was 20...he is now 34. So I do understand what you are going through and how it must be to not feel safe in taking your meds. As I said, I do not take the meds you are taking but I do have to take medication that according to my GP and OB are safe for pregnancy but according to the Pharmacist, he wouldn't advise it as it is a class C drug, meaning effects are unknown. I have myself chosen to take it during both pregnancies now. It is to slow my heart down and the way I see it, it's better for my heart to be working properly then not while pregnant. It's hard and scary to think it might be the wrong choice but I just trusted my own insticts. Are your fears centered around the medication causing problems, or just the actual idea of the baby arriving and not knowing how you will handle it along with your PD? I hope someone else here is kind enough to help as it seems you are really frustrated and in need of some kind words. I understand where you are coming from about the counseling as well. It never has worked for my DH. It's easier for people to say talk it out and deal with it when they've never experienced it before so don't feel about that. Counseling doesn't work for every problem. Well, I don't know what else to say except that I hope all goes well and that you can find some peace and know that you and baby will be alright. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sg1112 HB User

i have pd and was on xanax and lexapro before i got pregnant. they took me off as soon as i found out. its horrible to constantly be in fear so i know what your going through. the effect xanax can have on the baby is that it can stop the heartbeat especially if you take it in the 1st or 3rd trimester. i know its hard but try to take it as little as possible. i threw all mine out so i wouldnt even be tempted cuz i do want one really bad just so i can relax. at least you only have 2 more weeks then you can go back to your regular schedule. im 33 wks but im being induced at 37-38 wks. i cant wait

Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

I also have panic disorder and gave birth 7 weeks ago. I wasn't on any meds, but I have known of people who have taken the xanax and antidepressant while pregnant and everything was ok. I know the xanax can cause cleft palate but it's rare. Sometimes you have to do whats right for you. My doc wanted me to go on an antidepressant while pregnant but I didn't now I am suffering from postpartum anxiety and panic attacks. It stinks, but we deal.

Closed Thread